You can share your Wi-Fi passwords using the following methods:
- Windows – You can view the password in the Control Panel’s Network and Sharing Center for Windows or through a third-party program.
- Android – The passwords can be viewed in the Wi-Fi settings and shared using a QR code.
- iOS – Apple doesn’t provide an option to view the saved passwords, but there are options to share the password of your current network with other Apple devices.
- macOS – Open the Keychain Access option to view all saved passwords.
Whether you have guests over or work in an office, Wi-Fi is everywhere around us. If you check your phone right now, you may have at least 3 Wi-Fi networks saved. If you have guests over, most probably the first question they ask you is, “What’s the Wi-Fi password?”.
If you own and connect to multiple Wi-Fi networks, it’s a hassle to remember the passwords of all the networks you connect to. If you’re looking for ways to share a WiFi password, keep on reading for different ways to do this on every common type of device.
How to Find and Share WiFi Password on Android
If you use an Android device, sharing your WiFi is just a few taps away. Android allows you to view every network you’ve connected to easily.
Android has another neat option that allows you to show a QR code that, when scanned, allows another user to connect to the WiFi network.
Every Android version varies, and most manufacturers add their own flavor to their particular Android version. This means that Samsung’s One UI is comparatively different from Xiaomi’s MIUI. But, they still follow a basic set of steps:
- Click the settings on your phone, and click on Wi-Fi. If you don’t see the Wi-Fi options, there will likely be a Network and Internet option.
- Here, you will see the current network you are connected to and other networks in your proximity. Click on the network you would like to share.
- Most likely, either your Android will show the QR code right away. If not, you should see an option that you can click on to see the QR code. Many Android versions also show the password in plain text.
- Simply scan the QR code, and you should get an option to connect to the WiFi network.
How to Find and Share WiFi Password on Windows
Windows 10 introduced a WiFi sense feature that allowed you to share your WiFi details with your contacts, but this feature was discontinued due to several security concerns.
Right now, there is no quick way to share a WiFi password on a Windows PC. However, you can still use the following method to find your WiFi password on a Windows machine:
- Click on the Windows icon on the taskbar or press the Windows key on your keyboard. You will see the start menu pop-up Now click on the search bar and type “Control Panel.” You will notice an icon, which will take you to the control panel.
- Now click on the “Network and Internet” icon and choose the “Network and Sharing Center.” Here, you will see the network you’re currently connected to. On the right side, you will see a text that says Connections: Wi-Fi [Your current network]. Note that this will not work if you’re using an ethernet connection.
- Now click on connections, and you will see a box that shows you the WiFi status. Even though this information is beneficial, we don’t need it in this context. Now click on the “Wireless Properties” and navigate the “Security” tab. You will see several options there. What we need here is the “Network security key.” To view it, you need to click on the “Show Characters” option, which then shows you your WiFi password.
You can share the password with others by telling them or using a QR Code Generator to create a personalized QR Code. You can have this printed or show it on your screen, and it just needs to be scanned, then it will allow others to connect to the Wi-Fi network easily.
How to Find and Share WiFi Password on iPhone or iPad iOS
Apple’s iOS doesn’t have a native way to see the password of the WiFi network you’re connected to.
If you have a jailbroken iPhone, you can install a tweak that will allow you to view and share the WiFi password, but here we will talk about options that are supported on iPhones with native Apple support.
There are two main options for sharing WiFi passwords on iPhone:
Contacts Only on iOS 11 or Higher
This feature only works with devices in the Apple ecosystem, which means you can only share the password between two iOS 11 devices or between devices running iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra or higher.
If you have a friend with an Android device, just skip to the next option.
The first method for iOS to share WiFi passwords goes as follows:
- Make sure both of the devices have added each other in their contacts.
- Do this by going to the “Contacts” app and simply making a new contact.
- If you’re unable to see it, try sending an iMessage to the recipient’s phone.
- To share your password, make sure you’re already connected to the Wi-Fi network you want the other device to connect to.
- Open the Settings app and go to the Wi-Fi option on the device you want to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- Tap on the network you want to connect the device to, and you should see the textbox to enter the password.
- Bring the two devices close to each other, Ideally right beside each other, but it should still work if you’re in the same room.
- Wait for a few seconds, and you’ll see a “Share Password” button show up. As soon as you press it, the device will connect to the network. Do note that this is a bit slower on old iPhones.
You can share the password of your Wi-Fi from iOS 11 to macOS High Sierra with the same rules being applied. The mac device should be a contact on the iOS device.
The Shortcuts App
Apple doesn’t have a feature on iOS that allows users to generate a QR code, which makes it relatively harder than on an Android device to share your WiFi password. However, you can still do this by using a couple of apps.
First, we need to set up the device to generate and be able to share your WiFi password. We can do this using the “Shortcuts” application. This comes pre-installed on iOS 14. In case you deleted it, you can always re-download it.
You’ll need to follow these steps:
- Head over to Settings and then navigate to Shortcuts.
- There you will see an option called Allow Untrusted Shortcuts. Make sure to enable it.
- Follow the link to the Share Wi-Fi shortcut. You will get a prompt, and you just have to press Open to open the shortcut in the app.
- Scroll to the bottom and press the Add Untrusted Shortcut button, which adds it to your library. You should now have a share Wi-Fi shortcut on your shortcuts screen.
Once all that is completed, follow these steps to generate a QR code for your WiFi information.
- Press the blue button with the three dots in the top right corner in the Share Wi-Fi shortcut, which will allow you to edit it.
- Click on the textbox, type the Wi-Fi password you want to share, and press Done.
- Connect to the Wi-Fi whose password you want to share and head back to the Shortcuts app and tap the “Share Wi-Fi” shortcut to run it.
This will present you with a QR code with all the relevant information needed to connect to the WiFi, and you just need to scan the code to be prompted to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
Most Androids since Android 10 come with a built-in QR code scanner, but if your Android doesn’t have the functionality to scan the QR code, then we recommend downloading the Google Lens app as it works flawlessly.
How Share WiFi Password to Mac and Out of Mac to Other Devices
The macOS stores all of your Wi-Fi passwords in the Keychain Access. To access them, follow the following steps.
- Open the “Finder” and click on “Applications,” then press on “Utilities.” Alternatively, you can open “Spotlight” by pressing command+space and typing “Keychain Access.” Either method you choose, you will see your Wi-Fi passwords in the “System” section.
- Search for the saved network you want the password from and click on it.
- Click on the “Show Password” button.
- You will be asked to input your administrator password, which is used for your user account. Once you do that, you will have access to the password.
Alternatively, you can share your Wi-Fi password from your mac the same way you share your password with your contacts in iOS 11. You can do this by following these steps:
- Make sure your mac is unlocked and connected to the Wi-Fi network whose password you want to share
- Select the same Wi-Fi network on the other iOS 11 or macOS device.
- You should be prompted with a “Share Password” option on your Mac device. Simply click it.
With the WiFi password sharing option, you just need to click on the WiFi connection to connect to it. Make sure you have both devices added to the contacts and if you’re still unable to see the option, turn on Bluetooth on both devices.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Share My WiFi With Someone’s Phone?
There are two basic ways to share your password with someone’s phone. The first one is the traditional verbal way of telling them or writing it down. However, writing the password down has several security risks.
The second and much more superior way of doing this is to print a QR code on a piece of paper that people can just scan to connect to the WiFi network.
How Can I Share My WiFi Password With a QR Code?
First, you need to generate a QR code for your WiFi network using any of the many websites available. You can either print the QR code or screenshot it.
When scanned, it directly connects the device to the network. This is a hassle-free method as you don’t have to go into the phone’s settings to connect to the network. Instead, you just need to scan the code, and it will do its job automatically.
Are There Any Risks of Sharing My WiFi Password?
Giving random people access to your network has several security risks, as this opens up ways for them to compromise your data. As long as you share your WiFi password with only the people you trust, you should be fine. Make sure your network is encrypted too.
Can I Use NFC Tags to Share My WiFi Password?
Yes! NFC is a great way to share your WiFi password. iPhone 7 and later models have NFC functionality built-in. However, most lower to mid-range Androids still lack this feature. QR codes are still a better option to consider, but NFC is even easier to use than QR codes if your phone is capable of using it.
WiFi Sharing for the Future
You can now share your WiFi no matter what device you are using. If you’re able to make a QR code, it will save a lot of time when sharing your home network in the future.
- How to Record a Phone Call on iPhone: 4 Methods with Step-by-Step Guides
- Top 9 Best Chrome Extensions for Productivity
- How to Download YouTube Videos Without Any Software
- Top 8 Best Time Management Apps in 2022