This guide will show you in detail how to add a QR code to an Apple Wallet. But, if you’re in a rush, you simply have to navigate to Wallet > Edit Passes > Scan Code, then scan the QR code.
If you’d like a more in-depth look, read on to learn more.
How to Add a Supported Barcode to an Apple Wallet (QR Codes)
Adding passes using QR and barcodes is very common. But, you’ll need a phone running iOS 11 or greater. To add a supported QR code, locate it and then follow these steps:
- On your device, open your Wallet application.
- Scroll down and click on the Edit Passes option.
- Here, click on the Scan Code option.
- Wait for the camera to open, then scan your QR code or barcode. The pass will be added to the Apple Wallet.
If you have an older iPhone that can’t run iOS 11 or above, it may be time for an upgrade. Luckily, you can buy excellent refurbished iPhones from Amazon.
To add an unsupported QR code to Apple wallets on iOS 16 from a photo, follow the steps in the heading below.
How to Add a QR Code to an Apple Wallet From a Photo (Unsupported QR Codes)
The Apple Wallet app doesn’t allow you to add some QR codes out of the box. However, you can use an app to do this. Using third-party apps allows you to add PDFs and QR codes from images. Here is how to save a QR code to a wallet using a third-party application:
- Go to the App Store and search for the Pass2U Wallet application. Click on the Get button to install the app onto your phone.
- After the app is installed, open it and click on the hamburger icon towards the top left part of the screen.
- In the side menu, click on the All Passes option.
- Here, you can select the method you wish to use to add the Apple Pay QR code in 2023. You can add the barcode using the Scan the barcode on the card, Enter the barcode on the card, or Get the barcode in the photo.
- Add the QR code that you want to add to your Apple Wallet (if you do not know the Pass Type, choose the Generic option. You can customize it as you like.)
- After customizing, choose the Done option at the top right of the screen. Wait a few seconds for your Pass to generate.
If you’re interested in adding codes, you may also be interested in our guide to recording calls. There are a lot of occasions where one may need to record a call, such as phone interviews or as evidence of disputes. Using our guide, you can learn how to record a phone call on an iPhone.
How to Use Apple Wallet Passes
It’s easy to use a pass when you add it to an Apple Wallet. Let’s look at how you can use some of the different types of passes.
Using Retail Store Passes
Many people use the Wallet app to store rewards cards or coupons. Here is how to use them:
- On your device, open the Wallet application.
- Scroll through the wallet and locate the pass you want to use.
- Click on the pass to see the details, including the QR code and barcode.
- When you are at the store, ready to pay through your Wallet application, ask the cashier to scan the code from your phone.
Using Boarding Passes
Many airlines support saving boarding passes to Apple Wallet. You can also add movie and concert tickets and IDs. Here is how to use them:
- On your Apple Wallet, scroll through to find the boarding pass.
- Scan the phone boarding pass before entering the security and the gate before boarding the flight.
- You can swipe right and left to view all the available passes. The Wallet will keep the boarding passes together if the trip that you are making has multiple flights or legs.
On your flight, loud notifications or calls can annoy you and the passengers traveling with you. Learn how to use the do not disturb iPhone feature from our guide.
How to Remove a Pass From Your Wallet
You likely don’t want to keep used gift cards and coupons in the wallet app. Here is how to remove a pass from the wallet application:
- On your device, open the Wallet application and find the pass you wish to remove.
- Click on the pass and click on the More option in the form of three dots at the top right of your screen.
- Choose the Remove Pass option.
- Click on the Remove option. This will delete the pass from the Wallet.
Alternatively, click on the Edit Passes option in the main Wallet screen. Now, click on the red Minus symbol on the card you wish to remove and then click on Delete. If you want to remove all your personal data from your iPhone, learn how to factory reset an iPhone from our guide.
How to Add a Credit Card to Apple Wallet
The Wallet application allows you to keep the passes and store your debit and credit card information so you can use it with Apple Pay.
You can add new cards to the wallet and make online payments with the help of those cards, or you can also make in-person payments, but only in the places where they accept Apple Pay.
Here are the steps to add your credit or debit card to Apple Wallet:
- On your device, open the Wallet application.
- Click on the Plus symbol at the top right of the screen to add a credit or debit card.
- Click on the Credit or Debit Card option.
- Choose the Continue option.
- You can add your card details manually or simply scan them here.
- Click on the Next option to verify the card information.
- Type in your security code and choose the Next option.
- You will be asked to agree to the Terms and Conditions. Click on the Agree option.
- Apple Wallet will verify the card. Choose any of the verification methods, and then click on the Next option.
- The card will be added to the Wallet. Click on the Use as Default Card option or the Not Now option.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Add Anything To Apple Wallet?
Apple Wallet can store several types of cards, including credit and debit cards, driving licenses, state IDs, event tickets, transit cards, keys, and even COVID-19 vaccination QR codes that can be scanned in different locations.
How Do I Add An Unsupported QR Code To Apple Wallet?
You can use several third-party applications to add unsupported QR codes to your Apple wallet. Install an app like Pass2U Wallet from the App Store and then go to the All Passes section. You can select the method you wish to use to add the pass. Select the desired method and enter the QR code. The pass should be added to the app.
Can You Add A Photo To Apple Wallet?
The Apple wallet application currently doesn’t allow you to add pictures. However, if you need to be able to access important pictures quickly, you can do so by creating a folder in the native Photos app on iOS and adding all your important pictures there.
Most of the time, to add a QR code to an Apple Wallet, you simply have to open the app and scan the QR code. But, sometime the QR codes don’t work, so you may have to use a third party app instead.
- How to Turn Off Do Not Disturb on iPhone [Easy iOS 15 Guide]
- iPhone Keeps Disconnecting From Wifi? 8 Quick Fixes to Try
- Learn to Schedule a Text Message on an iPhone in 2 Minutes
- How to Fix Face ID Not Working on iPhone: A Complete Guide
- How to Speed Up a Video on iPhone: An Easy Guide (2 Ways)
- How to Move Search Bar to Top on Safari [iPhone]
- iPhone Home Button Not Working? 4 Easy Ways to Fix It
- How to Factory Reset an iPhone (3 Effortless Ways)
- How to Hide Photos on iPhone (3 Easy Ways)
Chris is a spreadsheet expert and content writer for Productivity Spot and Spreadsheet Point. He has a double Bachelor's Degree in Teaching and has been working in the education industry for over 11 years. His experience makes him adept at breaking down complex topics so that everyone is able to understand.