Notion is one of the best task management tools out there. And one of its most powerful features is its calendar which will help you plan your time more efficiently and keep you from missing out on important events.
To create a calendar on your Notion workspace, you’ll first have to start a new page. A menu will appear at the bottom part of your screen. Select Calendar > New database to create a full-page calendar that’s ready for you to customize.
From weekly to in-line calendars, follow along as we discuss creating a Notion calendar that’ll keep you organized!
This Article Covers:
How to Add a Date Property to a Page in Notion
Before making a Notion calendar, ensure that your existing page/database contains a Date property (since you’ll be working with dates). If your page doesn’t have the said property yet, here’s how to add it.
- Click the three-dot icon at the top of your table, board, list, or timeline.
- Next, select “Properties.”
- Click on “New property.”
- Choose “Date” from the list that appears.
Creating a Full-Page Calendar
One of the types you can create in Notion is a full-page calendar. It’s a simple, continuously scrollable calendar that can be viewed on the platform. However, it’s important to remember that, when using this type, you cannot insert any other elements (like paragraphs and embeds) aside from the title.
To create a full-page calendar in Notion:
- Locate and click on the “Add a page” option on the left side of your workspace.
- Select “Calendar” from the menu at the bottom under the “Add new” section.
- Choose “New database” from the menu that appears on the right side of your screen.
Alternatively, you can pick an existing database instead of generating a new one.
Note: Doing this is appropriate if you want to create a calendar view of your database on a new page.
How to Add a Calendar to an Existing Page
You don’t necessarily have to create a new page to create a Notion calendar. Instead, add one in-line on a page you’re working on. This could be ideal for setting up a single page containing a calendar, Kanban board, and lists.
To add a calendar to an existing page:
- Go to an existing page on your workspace.
- On a line, type /calendar view.
- Next, click “Calendar view” from the context menu that appears.
- Select a database that you want to create a calendar or create a new one.
Making a Calendar View for an Existing Database
You can also directly create a calendar view for existing databases and tables. These databases must first have a “Date property” to enable the calendar view. Here’s what to do:
- Navigate to your table and click the horizontal three-dot icon.
- From the options that appear at the right, select “Layout.”
- Under Layout, select “Calendar.”
How to Embed Google Calendar in Notion
You can also add Google Calendar to Notion workspaces. This can help preserve your data and remove the need to re-enter them again on a newly-created Notion calendar.
To embed Google Calendar in Notion:
- Open your Google Calendar.
- Click the vertical three-dots icon at the side of your preferred calendar.
- Next, select “Settings.”
- Scroll to “Integrate calendar” and copy the text under “Public URL to this calendar.”
- Head back to Notion and type /embed on a particular line. Click “Embed.”
- Paste the link to the applicable field and click on the “Embed” link.
If you’re going to integrate the main calendar linked to your Notion account, you might also want to make it available to the public. You can do this by clicking the three-dots icon of your main calendar > Settings and sharing > Access permissions for events. Toggle the checkmark to confirm your choice.
Customizing the Calendar Format
The aforementioned steps only generate a bare calendar, lacking the handy features of Notion (like filters, sorting categories, and weekly views).
Enabling Notion Weekly Calendar View
Aside from the monthly view, Notion also permits viewing your calendar in a weekly format. Enabling this feature helps you see your schedule in a more magnified way, which is especially handy when you’ve got several tasks lined up per day.
- Locate and click on the horizontal three-dots symbol at the top of your calendar.
- Select “Layout” from the displayed menu.
- Next, click on “Show calendar as” from the listed options.
- After that, select “Week” from the list that appears.
You might notice that there’s no daily option for viewing your Notion calendar on your desktop. This feature is only accessible on the mobile app version of the platform and can be used by simply tapping on a particular calendar date.
Note: You can also use Notion’s “Timeline view” to track your tasks in an hourly format.
Starting Your Notion Calendar with Mondays
Depending on where you live, you’ll have a different default display for your Notion calendar. For example, if your week starts on a Sunday, you can change your calendar to Monday.
- Select “Settings & members” from the options on the left side of your workspace.
- Next, go to “Language & region” and toggle the “Start week on Monday option” on.
Filtering Your Calendar Entries
Filters are convenient when it comes to viewing certain dates that you want to pay attention to. For example, you could add a tag to each entry that you want to be shown on your calendar.
To filter your calendar entries:
- Add tags to your calendar entries.
- At the top of your calendar, click on “Filter.”
- After that, select “Tags” from the context menu that appears.
- Finally, choose the tag that you want to be shown.
This is just a simple example of using filters on Notion. You can also set up multiple filters at the same time and use other criteria depending on your needs and preferences.
How to Delete a Calendar in Notion
When you no longer need your calendar view but want to keep the data there, you can simply change its layout to its previous format. Just follow the steps we’ve discussed for making a calendar view for an existing database, but ensure to pick another option aside from Calendar.
Meanwhile, you can refer to the two-step process below if you want to fully delete your Notion calendar.
- To get started, find and click the horizontal three-dot icon of your calendar.
- Then, select “Delete view.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use Notion as a Calendar?
Yes. Notion supports the creation of calendars on both new and existing pages. Aside from this, it also lets users create a Calendar view of their tasks, aside from other views like Timeline, Table, and Board.
Is Notion Connected to Google Calendar?
Notion isn’t connected to Google Calendar by default, but the platform does support its integration. The easiest way to integrate them is to embed the URL of your Google Calendar within Notion. Simply copy the “public share link” of your calendar and paste it into Notion. Next, click the “Create embed” button.
Can Notion Sync with Apple Calendar?
Unfortunately, no method currently exists to directly sync your Apple Calendar with Notion. You might have to use third-party integration tools like Notion to Calendar to accomplish this. Otherwise, you could switch to Google Calendar.
Can I Have the Calendars Start on Monday Instead of Sunday?
Yes. By default, your Notion calendar starts on Monday or Sunday, depending on your region. You can set your calendar to start on Monday by going to Settings & members > Language & region. Simply turn on the “Start week on Monday” option.
Is There a Way to See a Weekly/Daily/Yearly View Instead of a Monthly View?
Notion supports a weekly view of your calendar. You can enable this display by clicking on the three-dot icon at the top of your calendar and selecting Layout > Show calendar as > Week. Meanwhile, a daily view option only exists on the Notion mobile app. A yearly view is currently unavailable on the platform.
Notion is a powerful tool for making work more efficient — and Notion Calendar is an excellent feature to take advantage of. The platform supports full-page calendars and calendars that can be added to existing pages and databases.
While Notion calendars are incredibly handy, the platform can provide an endless array of organization and efficiency. For intrepid explorers, there are plenty of great travel templates to map out future trips.