As productivity tools become more technologically advanced, there seems to be one problem that continues to remain: the lack of cross-compatibility.
Everyone has their preference when it comes to productivity tools, including calendar apps and services. This is all well and good, but the problem usually begins when they also want to use another calendar app for its features without having to switch between the two constantly. People may also encounter compatibility problems when trying to set up meetings, appointments, and events with people who use different calendar apps.
Luckily, there are now ways to sync calendars together to lessen these issues. For example, it is possible to sync Outlook calendars with iPhone devices.
In this guide, we’ll talk about the different methods you can use to sync your Outlook calendar with your iPhone. We’ll even discuss how you can sync your iCloud or iPhone calendar into Outlook. Let’s get to it!
What is Outlook?
Microsoft Outlook is an app that comes with Microsoft Office. It allows you to manage emails, contacts, and calendars all in one place. It even allows you to share your files from the cloud to ensure that all recipients have the newest versions.
There’s no doubt that Outlook can help increase productivity by consolidating most of your productivity needs into one app. The best part is that you can use Outlook on your Windows or Mac computer through the dedicated apps. You can also use the Outlook apps on your iPhone, though there is also an app for Android.
Let’s talk about how to sync Outlook calendars with iPhones.
Option 1: Sync Outlook Calendar with iPhone Using iTunes
This method is perfect for you if you use iTunes as your go-to iPhone management tool. Here’s how to add your Outlook calendar to your iPhone with iTunes:
- Grab your data connection cable (such as your lightning to USB cable) and connect it to your phone. Plug the other end into your computer and wait for iTunes to open. Alternatively, if iTunes doesn’t automatically open, you can launch it manually.
- Click your device’s icon and then open its “Info” tab.
- Look for the option to Sync Calendars with. From the dropdown menu, select Outlook.
- Select which calendars you’d like to sync. You can include all of them or only a specific few.
- Click on Apply and this will sync your Outlook calendar to iPhone.
As you connect Outlook calendar to iPhone using this method, you may notice you have the option to sync only your recent/future events. Use this option if you don’t feel like you need to sync all the past events in your calendar.
Note: If you’re having problems using this method, check to make sure iCloud is disabled as syncing via iTunes won’t work otherwise. To disable iCloud for your calendar, get your phone. Navigate to your phone’s settings > your name/username > and then tap on iCloud. From there, disable iCloud for your phone’s Calendar app. Once this is done, you may attempt to sync through iTunes again.
Option 2: Sync Outlook Calendar with iPhone Using iPhone Mail App
You can also add an Outlook calendar to your iPhone using your iPhone’s mail app. Here’s how:
- On your phone, go to your Settings > Passwords & Accounts.
- Tap on Add Account, then select Outlook.com.
- Enter your login details to your Outlook account and save.
- When the prompt pops up asking you for permission to sync your data, allow it.
- Now, go back to the list of accounts on Passwords & Accounts. Tap on your Outlook account.
- Select which information you’d like to be synced with your Outlook account. Make sure you enable Calendars.
If your phone asks you if you’d like to keep any existing events already on your iPhone’s calendar, consider carefully because you might get duplicate events!
Option 3: Sync Outlook Calendar with iPhone Using iCloud
If you have an iPhone and/or a Mac, chances are you also have iCloud, which is Apple’s cloud storage service (like Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, and Dropbox). iCloud works well for syncing data such as your calendars, files, and contacts through your different devices because it stores all your data in the cloud. Chances are you already have iCloud set up, but if you don’t, it’s easy to get started. This Apple iCloud user guide can help.
This is a quick guide on how to link your Outlook calendar to your iPhone using iCloud if you are on a Windows computer.
- Set up iCloud on your Windows computer by downloading and then installing it.
- Open iCloud. Log in using the same Apple ID and password you use on your Mac/iPhone/iCloud.
- In the next screen, select what you’d like to sync. You’ll have the option to tick which boxes you’d like, so make sure you have “Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and Tasks” ticked.
- Click on Apply and you’re good to go!
Once you’ve got this set up, there isn’t much else you need to do. Now, when you add new events to your Outlook calendar, it appears on your iCloud calendars on your iDevices (and vice versa).
How to Add Your iPhone’s Calendar to Outlook
If you want to back your calendars up by syncing them to your computer, you can add your iPhone’s existing calendar to your Outlook account. However, you will need a different tool for this because iTunes doesn’t always allow you to transfer data from your phone to your laptop or desktop.
Consider a tool like TouchCopy, which does allow you to transfer data as needed. Download and install this app and then:
- Launch the TouchCopy app and then connect your iPhone to your computer using the USB data cable.
- Click on Calendars and then click Copy as vCard if you are on a Windows computer or Copy to Mac if you are on a Mac computer.
- Choose your save location, then select which calendars you’d like to save.
- Once your calendars are saved, open Outlook. Import your newly-saved calendar(s) by clicking File, Open & Export, Import & Export, then import a vCalendar file (.vcs) or import an iCalendar (.ics).
- Import your file, then select whether to import it as a new calendar or merge it to your existing calendar.
Note that when using this method, newly added events on your Outlook calendar will not automatically sync to your phone.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does my Outlook calendar not sync with iPhone?
- If you are using iTunes to sync your Outlook calendar to your iPhone, ensure that iCloud is disabled for your calendar on your phone.
- You can also try to resync your Outlook account.
- If you are still running into problems, this Microsoft troubleshooting page might help.
How do I get my Outlook calendar to sync with my phone?
There are three methods to add Office 365 calendar to your iPhone. Check out our detailed guide above and find the option that works best for you.
How do I sync my Outlook to my iPhone?
To sync Outlook 365 calendar with iPhone, you can use iTunes, iCloud, or the iPhone Mail app.
How do I link my iPhone calendar to my calendar?
To sync your iPhone’s calendar to your Outlook account as a backup, you can try using apps like TouchCopy that will allow you to copy your data as needed.
How do I sync my Outlook calendar to my iPhone without using iTunes?
You don’t have to use iTunes to sync your calendar. You can use iCloud or the iPhone mail app instead! Both methods are detailed in our guide above.
With this guide on how to connect Outlook calendars to iPhones, it should become much easier to get everything set up how you need it. Now that you know the different options to sync Outlook calendar with iPhone, we hope that you can streamline and improve your productivity process!
- How to Set Out of Office in Outlook Desktop and 365
- How to Encrypt Email in Outlook
- How to Share Calendar in Outlook (6 Simple Steps)
- How to Create a Distribution List in Outlook in 5 Steps
- How to Add a Signature in Outlook
- How to Recall an Email in Outlook + 2 Other Easy Solutions
- How to Print From iPhone With + Without Airprint [Easy]
- Top 8 Best Journal Apps for iPhone, iOS, Android, and Windows
Chriselle has been a passionate writer for over 10 years, but she's a geek at heart. When she isn't busy writing, she spends her time streaming video games and learning new skills.