If you’re sharing a phone, deleted an old email account, or need to wipe your data, learning how to sign out of mail on an iPhone or other iOS devices is a handy tool to have in your belt.
This tutorial will cover how to sign out of the mail app on iPad and iPhone, through iCloud, and even from the popular Gmail iOS app. Read on to learn to secure or remove your email account.
This Article Covers:
How to Log out of Mail on iPhone
If you have several email accounts logged on your iPhone, logging out of them can be confusing, as iOS doesn’t make the process entirely transparent.
The iOS Mail application does not have a logout option if you wish to log out of email on your iPhone. However, you can simply do it by navigating to your phone settings.
Here are the steps you have to follow on how to sign out of the mail app on iOS:
- On the main home screen of your iPhone, click on Settings. On the settings page.
- Click on Passwords & Accounts. Older versions will navigate to Mail > Accounts instead. This will open a new screen that contains the information of the currently logged-in accounts.
- Find the email address you want to log out of and click on it. The screen that opens will show the services currently using that account.
- Click on the radio button next to Mail to sign out of email on your iPhone.
These steps work on all iOS-supported devices, so feel free to follow these steps if you’re looking for how to log out of mail on an iPad.
Related Reading: How to Recall an Email in Outlook
How to Sign out of Mail by iCloud
Similar to the previous section, you can also log out of the iCloud services on your iPhone. Here are the steps to log out of apple mail from iCloud:
- Click on Settings on the main home screen.
- Now, click on your iCloud ID.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and then click on Sign Out.
This will sign out from all Apple iCloud services, including Apple Pay, Mail, iCloud Photo, and iTunes. Note that you shouldn’t follow this method if you still plan to use other iCloud services.
How to Sign out of the Gmail App on iPhone
If you are using the Gmail application on your iPhone, then the steps that show how to sign out of the mail app on your iPhone are a bit different from those above. Instead of heading into the settings app, you will do this in Gmail directly.
Here are the steps on how to do so:
- Click on the Gmail icon on your home screen to open the application.
- Click on your account image at the top and then click on Manage Accounts.
- Select the account you wish to sign out of and click on the slider button next to it or tap Remove from this device.
Related Reading: How to Recall an Email in Gmail
How to Stop Receiving Emails for an Account (Turning off Notifications)
Sometimes it’s just the constant annoying notifications that may lead you to want to sign out of the mail app. But, You can keep yourself logged in but turn off notifications by following these steps:
- Open up Settings
- Head to Notifications
- Find Mail in the list of apps and tap it
- Slide the Allow Notifications radio button to off
How to Log out of Email on iPhone – Important Facts
Here are a few things you should know when signing out of an iPhone account:
- The account will not be deleted from your iPhone nor prevent you from accessing the account on another device. This will simply delete the account from your Mail app’s inbox. Click the Delete Account button at the bottom of the menu if you want to completely remove the account from your iPhone.
- On your iPhone, you may have an iCloud account that you may not be using. Even while the screen will appear slightly different from what it would for a Gmail or Yahoo account, you can still disable mail from that account.
- The steps in the first two sections are based on the assumption that you are attempting to log out of your email account using the built-in iPhone Mail app. These actions won’t impact an alternative email software you may use, for example, the Gmail app, which we discuss in the third section.
- You can follow these instructions to log out of your mail account on iOS version 12.3.1 onwards. There may be a slight variation in the steps if you’re using an older version of iOS. For instance, you might have to open the Mail menu and choose the Accounts option there. However, recent iOS versions, such as iOS version 14, still follow these same steps.
- Your email account won’t be impacted by this in any way. You can still access the Google Mail website to manage your Gmail account and the Microsoft website to access your Outlook account. Additionally, it won’t impact how messages are delivered to other email clients synced to this account.
- If you later decide that you want to resume receiving emails in the Mail app, simply slide the switch to the right of Mail to turn it back on and restore that account in your inbox.
- You may notice additional options, such as Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, or Notes, on the screen where you log out of your email. You can flip the settings for those items off if they are syncing to your iPhone and you no longer want them to do so.
- You can follow these steps on all iPhone models from the iPhone 6S to iPhone 13 and iPads.
Now that you know how to sign out of mail on your iPhone in the integrated mail app and Gmail, you can apply what you’ve learned to other apps on your iOS device too.
You May Also Like: