Ever since its launch in 2008, Google Chrome has amassed 64.53% of the desktop browser market share. That’s a crazy number, considering the next closest competitor is Apple’s Safari, dialing in at 18.84%. The numbers on mobile aren’t that much different, either. On mobile devices, Chrome sits at 63.27% while Safari comes in at 24.8%.
Google Chrome’s prevalence is such that many use it despite some of its issues, such as its resource-hungriness and its sometimes-questionable user privacy handling. Other browsers struggle for a slice of the pie. Just ask Microsoft Edge — so many people use it only to download Chrome that they’ve taken to putting up pop-ups saying that you don’t really need another browser.
This guide will walk you through how to make Chrome the default browser on Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Make Google Chrome Default on Mac
If you want to make Chrome default browser on your Mac, the process is quite simple. The first thing you will need to do is to download and install Google Chrome if you haven’t already. From there, you can use one of two methods to set your browser as the default.
- Download and install Google Chrome on your machine.
- Open Google Chrome and look at the upper-right corner for the menu, or the three vertical dots.
Click on the vertical dots and choose Settings from the resulting drop-down menu.
- Once the settings page opens, look for the Default Browser link on the left side menu.
- If you don’t have Chrome set to default, you will get the option to do so in this menu. Then, once you’ve made the changes, going to Settings > Default browser will display this response:
If you’d rather go through your machine’s System Preferences, you can follow these steps below.
- Open System Preferences using one of the methods below.
- Use the Spotlight feature on Mac by pressing command + spacebar, which will bring up a dialog box. From there, you can type “System Preferences” and open them from there. You can also access Spotlight by clicking on the magnifying glass icon on the right side of your top menu bar.
- Click on the Apple logo icon on the top left corner of your top menu bar, then click on System Preferences.
- Click on General from the options.
- Look for the “Default Web Browser” option and select Google Chrome from the drop-down menu.
How to Unset Chrome as Default Browser on Mac
To change your default browser away from Google Chrome, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to your System Preferences.
- Click on General.
- Look for Default Web Browser, then click on the drop-down menu. Select which app you would like to use as your default browser instead.
How to Make Google Chrome Default Browser on Windows
Setting Chrome up to be your default browser on Windows is just as easy as it is on Mac. If you’re using Windows 10, follow the steps below.
- Click on Start or press the Windows Key on your keyboard.
- Click on Settings or the gear icon on the resulting menu.
- Click on “Apps.”
- On the left-hand menu, select Default Apps.
- Navigate to Default Browser and click on whichever browser is currently set as your default. Select Google Chrome and click “done.” That’s it!
Unsetting Google Chrome as the Default Browser
If you change your mind and decide to use a different browser instead, you can use the steps above and simply select a different browser as your default.
How to Make Chrome Your Default Browser on iOS
Setting Chrome as default browser on your iOS device is easy, regardless of whether you have an iPhone or iPad. To do so, follow the instructions below.
- Tap on Settings on your home screen.
- Scroll until you find Chrome, then tap on it.
- Under the Chrome settings page, look for Default Browser App. Tap on it.
- Change the default browser to Google Chrome.
Unset Chrome Default Brower on iOS
If you no longer want to use Chrome as your default browser on iOS, follow the same steps as above, then change your default browser to whichever one you prefer.
Set Your Default Browser to Chrome on Android
It’s worth mentioning that Android devices are often different from each other given every brand’s distinct user interface and setup. However, you can often find the settings around the same locations if you do some digging. Here’s what you need to do to set Chrome as your default browser on Android. For reference, the device in these screenshots is a Xiaomi smartphone.
- Navigate to your Settings and scroll down to Apps.
- Depending on your phone, you may already be able to navigate to Default Apps/Browser from the Apps page. However, in some cases, you may have to tap on the three-dot menu on the top right-hand side of the screen. From there, tap on Default Apps.
- From Default Apps, tap on Browser.
- Select Google Chrome, and you’re good to go.
Unset Chrome as the Default Browser on Android
To remove Google Chrome as the default app on your Android device, follow the same steps above and swap to a different app instead.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I set Google Chrome as my default browser?
Google Chrome usually gives you plenty of opportunities to set it as your default browser without any hassle at all. For example, when you first download, install, and open Chrome, you will get a prompt asking you if you would like to set it as your default browser. If you miss that opportunity, don’t worry — you get other chances. For example, when you open a new tab, you will receive a similar prompt.
However, if you were still unable to set it as the default, don’t worry — simply follow the appropriate steps in the guide above.
How do I set Chrome as my default browser in Windows 10?
The steps to set Chrome as your default browser are listed in the guide above.
Why can’t I set Chrome as my default browser?
If you are having problems with setting Google Chrome as your default browser, it may be for a couple of reasons.
- The first reason might be that your installed version of Google Chrome isn’t the most recent. To resolve this, simply update Google Chrome, restart it, then try setting it as the default again using the techniques described above.
- The second reason may be that you already have Chrome set as the default — in this case, congratulations! You don’t need to do anything else.
- And finally, if you are still struggling to set Chrome as your default browser, chances are you may have some sort of malware on your device. You’ll first need to get rid of any malware before you proceed to try again.
How do I use Google Chrome instead of Safari?
If you are on an Apple device and you want to use Chrome instead of Safari, you can simply follow the instructions listed above. Choose the appropriate instructions for your device and operating system (macOS or iOS).
How do I stop Google Chrome not being my default browser?
To make sure that Google Chrome is your default browser, follow the steps in the guide above. Be sure to use the instructions suitable to your current device or machine!
How do I make Chrome my default browser on Windows 11?
You can follow the guide from 9To5Google to set your default browser on Win11.
How do I set Chrome as the default browser on Windows 7?
This screengrab from Google’s support page will show you the steps to setting your default browser on Windows 8 and below.
Despite some of its flaws, Google Chrome easily maintains its market share — and for good reason. We hope that this guide has helped you figure out how to make Chrome the default browser, no matter your operating system or device.
- How to Block a Website on Chrome (4 Simple Methods)
- How to Reopen Closed Tabs in Chrome, Safari, and Other Browsers
- 9 Best Alternative Browsers to Try Instead of Chrome
- Top 9 Best Chrome Extensions for Productivity
- Best Productivity Planners in 2022 [Daily, Weekly, Monthly]
- How to Transfer Data From Android to iPhone [Fast & Easy]