To boil it down, you can simply use the toolbar shortcuts to add strikethrough in most modern versions of Outlook apps. But, if you need a little extra help, read on to learn how to strikethrough in Outlook with this straightforward step-by-step guide.
Be More Productive
At Productivity Spot, we’re all about getting the most out of your work time as efficiently as possible. Often, the best way to do this is to learn through a course to improve your skills before you begin a project. Luckily, there are plenty of Coursera productivity classes you can take.
How to Use Strikethrough in Outlook Desktop App
Using Outlook’s desktop application, you can insert single or double lines of intersecting text in your emails. Each strikethrough type has separate steps, but we’ve covered both below for your convenience.
Apply Single Strikethrough in Outlook
To add a line crossed through the text in your Outlook desktop application, first launch the app on your desktop.
Here is how to cross out text in Outlook:
- In the main Outlook screen, click on the New Email button in the top left corner of the window. This will open a smaller window in the middle of the screen, allowing you to compose the email.
- Fill in the basic elements of the email, such as the recipient’s email in the To textbox and the email’s Subject.
- Now, write the main body of the email.
- Click and drag your cursor to select the text you wish to strikethrough.
- Now, click the Format Text option in the main header bar. This will switch to a toolbar allowing you to edit the text.
- Here, in the Font section, click on Strikethrough. The icon is ab text with a horizontal line passing through it.
- After editing the email, click on the Send button to send the email.
Related: How to Recall an Email in Outlook + 2 Other Easy Solutions
Apply Double Strikethrough Outlook
You can also use two lines instead of one when using strikethrough in the email. Adding two lines will require you to use the font settings in Outlook. Here is how to do this:
- Click on the New Email button in the top left corner of the window and start composing the email.
- Fill in the basic elements of the email, such as the recipient’s email in the To textbox and the email’s Subject, and write the main body.
- Click and drag to select the text to which you wish to apply the double strikethrough.
- Now, right-click on the highlighted text to open the formatting menu.
- Here, click the Font option.
- This will open the font window that allows you to define the formatting options in detail.
- Now, click on the Double strikethrough option under the Effects tab.
- Simply click the Ok button to save the changes.
Related: How to Schedule an Email in Outlook
Things to Know About Outlook Strikethrough
- You can click strikethrough before you begin typing to add a line through any text you input after that.
- You can follow the same steps to remove the strikethrough.
- Using plain text won’t display the strikethrough. Only Rich text and HTML formats can display the strikethrough.
- You can remove strikethrough formatting using Clear Formatting in the Message tab under Basic Text.
- You can’t apply the strikethrough format to the email subject or the recipient’s email. The strikethrough can be added only to the body of the email.
If you’re using Outlook for sending and receiving emails, then you’re also a user of Google Sheets. If you wish to learn how to strikethrough in Google Sheets, we have outlined 3 easy ways to do so in our how-to guide.
Related: How to Set Out of Office in Outlook Desktop and 365
How to Use Strikethrough in Outlook Web App
The web version only offers the single strikethrough text in Outlook feature. Here is how you can compose an email containing line through text in Outlook for the web:
- Open Outlook in your preferred web browser. Here, log in to your account.
- Click on the New mail option in the main Outlook screen to open the compose screen.
- Type the recipient’s email in the To textbox and add the Subject.
- Now, write the main body of the email.
- Highlight the text you wish to add the single Outlook strikethrough to.
- With the text highlighted, click on Strikethrough in the main toolbar. The icon looks like a capital S with a horizontal line passing through it.
- After you’re done composing the email, click the blue Send button to send the email.
The strikethrough effect will be applied to the text. If you wish to remove the effect, select the desired text and click Strikethrough icon again to undo the effect.
Note: You can also add strikethrough text to the signature in Outlook.
Outlook Strikethrough Shortcut
While you can use the button to add strikethrough to Outlook, keyboard shortcuts can make your life much easier. Here is how you can create a shortcut for strikethrough in Outlook:
- Open the Outlook desktop client and start composing a new email.
- Press the Ctrl + D shortcut, which will open the Font window.
- Now, press the Ctrl + Alt + + shortcut and check the box to enable strikethrough. This will open a new Customize Keyboard window.
- Now, create a keyboard shortcut by using either Shift, Alt, or Ctrl, and a letter key on your keyboard.
- Now, click on the Assign button.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Add Strikethrough to My Outlook Toolbar?
The newer versions of Outlook have strikethrough in the main toolbar. However, if you’re using an older Outlook version, you can add strikethrough by right-clicking on a ribbon and then clicking on Customize the ribbon. Now, select All commands from Choose commands from a menu. Here, choose Strikethrough.
What Is the Shortcut for Strikethrough in Outlook?
Although Outlook doesn’t have a built-in shortcut for strikethrough, you can create a custom shortcut. To do this, select the desired text, and press the Ctrl + D shortcut. Now, press the Ctrl + Alt + + shortcut, and click the checkbox to enable strikethrough. Now, create a keyboard shortcut by using Shift, Alt, Ctrl, and a letter key on your keyboard and click the Assign button.
Wrapping Up How to Strikethrough in Outlook
Unfortunately, there isn’t a native keyboard shortcut to strikethrough in Outlook, but at least you should now know how to strikethrough in Outlook with a few clicks in the toolbar. Alternatively, if you use strikethrough often, you can add a custom keyboard shortcut to strikethrough text in Outlook.
- How to Set Out of Office in Outlook Desktop and 365
- How to Encrypt Email in Outlook
- How to Create a Distribution List in Outlook in 5 Steps
- How to Add a Signature in Outlook
- How to Recall an Email in Outlook + 2 Other Easy Solutions
- How to Print From iPhone With + Without Airprint [Easy]
- Top 8 Best Journal Apps for iPhone, iOS, Android, and Windows
Chris is a spreadsheet expert and content writer for Productivity Spot and Spreadsheet Point. He has a double Bachelor's Degree in Teaching and has been working in the education industry for over 11 years. His experience makes him adept at breaking down complex topics so that everyone is able to understand.