In this article, we will cover how to make a live wallpaper on iPhones and Android devices. Read on to learn how to do it.
This Article Covers:
How to Make Live Wallpaper on iPhone
Apple has removed the feature of adding a live wallpaper from iOS 16. However, creating a live wallpaper is easy if you have a version of iOS that is older than iOS 16. An older version of iOS can still make a live wallpaper from a Live Photo.
Here is how to set a live wallpaper on iPhone:
- On your iPhone, open Settings.
- Click on the Wallpaper option.
- Click on the Choose a New Wallpaper option.
- Now click on the Live Photos option and choose a photo you wish to use.
- Click on the Select option.
- Here, you will see three options; Set Lock Screen, Set Home Screen, or Set Both.
- Choose any of the three options, and your live wallpaper will be set.
How to Make a Live Image on an iPhone with a Third Party App
The Apple App Store offers plenty of options, but intoLive is the best option. The app is pretty expensive if you purchase it, but you can download it for free and get most of the functions. Third-party applications that let you change videos into backgrounds are also available.
Here is how to make a live wallpaper on iPhone using the intoLive application:
- Go to the Apple Store and download the free intoLive application.
- Launch the application and choose the New Project option.
- Find the photo you wish to use and click on the Add option.
- You can edit the photo as you like. You may crop, cut, change the color, and more.
- After editing the photo, you will see the Share option in the top right corner of the screen. Click on it.
- Click on the File Type option and choose the Live Photo option.
- You can select the Resolution and the preferences of FPS.
- After you are done, click on the Save to Photos option.
- Open Settings and click on the Wallpaper option.
- Click on the Choose a New Wallpaper option.
- Now click on the Live Photos option, choose a photo you wish to use, and click on the Select option.
- Select one of the three options: Set Lock Screen, Set Home Screen, or Set Both, and your wallpaper will be set.
How to Get Live Wallpapers on Android
Many manufacturers make their own version of Android, which means there isn’t just one way to get moving wallpapers for Android. Some manufacturers have this feature prebuilt into their operating systems, while others don’t.
Let’s take a look at how to make live wallpaper android.
How to Get Live Wallpaper on Samsung Galaxy Devices
Samsung has built-in functionality in its OneUI operating system, allowing you to set a video as wallpaper in its UI. However, this feature is limited as it only allows you to add the video to the lock screen or call screen.
Here are the steps to do this:
- Open the Files or the Gallery app and the folder containing the video you wish to set as wallpaper.
- Click to open it and then click on the Vertical ellipsis icon towards the bottom right side of the screen.
- This will open a menu. Here, click on the Set as wallpaper option.
- Here, you can select between the Lock screen or the Call background. We want to set the video as a live lock screen wallpaper in this case.
- This will take you to a new screen that allows you to select a different video if you click the Gallery button or Trim it. Note that this feature supports a video of up to 15 seconds, meaning you will have to crop out your video if it’s longer.
- If you wish to trim the video, click on the Trim button and use the sliders to adjust the time. Click on the Done button at the top right part of the screen to save the changes.
This OneUI feature only allows you to set a video to wallpaper on the lock screen or call background. You will need to download a third-party application to set the video as the wallpaper on the home screen.
How to Get Live Wallpaper Using Third-Party Applications
To set a video as the wallpaper on your Android phone, regardless of the operating system, you must use a third-party application. In this example, we will be using the Video to Wallpaper application. We suggest using this application simply because it has no ads.
Here are the steps to do so:
- Open the application on your phone.
- On the main page, click on the Plus icon towards the bottom right side of the screen. This will allow you to choose a Name for your wallpaper and its location. Click on the Choose button, which will take you to your file manager.
- Here, find the video you wish to set as wallpaper and click on it.
- Click on OK.
- Now, on the app’s main screen, click on the Apply button under the wallpaper’s name.
- You will need to set the application as a live wallpaper for the first-time setup. Choose the Video to Wallpaper option when taken to the live wallpaper selector.
- Now click on Set wallpaper.
- Here, select Home screen or Home screen and lock screen.
The video will be applied as wallpaper now. You can follow steps 1 to 4 if you wish to add another video as wallpaper.
Other Apps You Can Use to Get Live Wallpaper
Here are a few alternative apps to set a video as a live wallpaper.
If you don’t mind a few advertisements, the Any Video Live Wallpaper application is even more user-friendly than the relatively simple-to-use Video to Wallpaper app. The app’s user interface is simple, with two big options in the middle.
Here are the steps you can follow to use Any Video Live Wallpaper application:
- Install and launch the application.
- Click on the Video option.
- Choose the wallpaper that you wish to use.
- Check the preview, and if you are satisfied, click on the Set Wallpaper option.
- You can set the wallpaper on the home screen, lock screen, or both.
The Video Live Wallpaper application is a fantastic choice for individuals who require more personalization options. The application not only allows you to set any video as a live wallpaper for your lock screen or home screen, but it also provides you with a few other options, like the ability to crop the video, turn on or off the audio, and crop it to fit your screen.
You can also use the app’s “Color” menu to set a static solid color background on your phone.
The app, however, has a few shortcomings. Its UI appears outdated and has a permanent advertisement banner at the top of the screen.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Videos as Live Wallpapers?
For iOS users, Apple recently removed the functionality to add live wallpapers with the iOS 16 update. However, you can use other apps if you use iOS 16 on your Apple device.
For Android users, there are multiple ways in which you can use a vid as a live wallpaper. The easiest way is to download a third-party app like Video to Wallpaper or Any Video Live Wallpaper. Samsung Galaxy users can do this by visiting their gallery and setting the video as wallpaper.
Which iPhones Can Still Use Live Wallpapers?
The option to make a live wallpaper on iPhones is available for iPhone 6s and later models running iOS 15 or below. Apple removed the option to allow making live wallpapers in iOS 16 as it drains the battery. However, you can use a third-party app on iOS 16 to do it.
Wrapping Up How to Make a Live Wallpaper
Although Apple made it more difficult to use live wallpapers in iOS 16 and beyond, you can still do so with third-party apps. Samsung and certain other Android devices have in-built software to do it, but many other Android devices don’t. Again, you can quite easily do it by downloading an app. Whichever device you use, you should now know how to make a live wallpaper. Just make sure you disable it when your battery is running low.