This guide will show you step by step how to change Alexa’s voice on all your Amazon Alexa-enabled devices. The quickest way to do it is to simply use the voice controls and ask Alexa to change its voice. But if you want more control over the settings, we have you covered too. Read on to learn more.
This Article Covers:
Is the Alexa Voice a Real Person?
With text-to-speech starting to sound more and more like a natural person, it may be surprising that Alexa’s voice isn’t a real person at all. It was created using Natural Language Processing, which converts speech to words and sounds. Related: How to Add a Second Amazon Baby Registry
Amazon used this tech to create the sophisticated voice for Alexa’s AI.
Your speech is recorded whenever you ask Alexa a question and transmitted to Alexa Voice Service (AVS) via the internet. Your voice is then converted to text so a computer can understand your words. Then, within a few milliseconds, AVS transmits commands to the device, telling Alexa what to say back to the user, which it then converts into speech and output by the speakers on the device.
The Quickest Way to Change Alexa’s Voice
If you have a device already set up, you can simply say, “Hey Alexa, change your voice.” and then follow the prompts that Alexa gives you.
How to Change Alexa’s Voice on Mobile Devices
Here are the steps to change Alexa’s voice on mobile:
- Open the Alexa application from your home screen.
- In the main app screen, click on Devices. Ensure that the app is set up properly and your account is the same as the one on the Echo device.
- In the Devices tab, click on the Echo & Alexa option towards the top left of the screen. This will allow you to change Alexa voice options for your Echo devices. These include Echo speakers and Echo smart displays. You’re able to change individual settings in this tab and the voice from the Alexa voices list.
- Here, you will find a list of all the registered Echo devices with the names you assigned during setup. Find the device you wish to change Alexa voice for and click on it.
- On that specific device’s page, you will see the Bluetooth connections, status, alarms and timers, and other options depending on the type of the device. Click on the Gear icon towards the top-right side of the screen, which will open the settings page for that device.
- Scroll down and click on Alexa’s Voice setting under the Wake Word option used to change the trigger word on your Alexa assistant.
- Here, depending on your account, you will see multiple options to help you with changing your Alexa voice. Clicking on the voice will allow you to preview different voices for Alexa before you select it.
You can also change the wake word in step 6 to have a different trigger word. As of now, some of the available options include the following:
You can also change the accent voice settings by navigating to Settings > Devices > Language and selecting a voice.
Related Reading: Top 9 Best AirPod Alternatives in 2023
Can I Change Alexa’s Voice to a Celebrity?
Amazon has introduced a new feature on Echo devices allowing you to swap the Alexa voice to a celebrity. As of now, you can select between these three celebrities:
- Samuel L. Jackson
- Shaquille O’Neal
- Melissa McCarthy
Here is how to change voice on Alexa to a celebrity:
- Open Alexa on your smartphone or go to an Echo device and say this phrase: “Alexa, enable [celebrity name]” Alexas’s voice will change to the celebrity voice, and they will give a brief introduction.
- If you like the voice and wish to continue using it, you can confirm the purchase of the celebrity voice, and you will be charged $4.99 to your associated payment method. One thing to note is that celebrity voices can do most tasks but can’t help with reminders, shopping lists, and skills. Alexa will instead revert to the original voice.
- Once you’re done with the initial setup, you can access the Alexa celebrity voices by saying, “Hey, [celebrity first name].” Once purchased, you can use the celebrity voice on as many Echo devices, provided that they are all logged in to the same Amazon account. Simply say, “Alexa, enable [celebrity name] voice.”
How to Have Alexa Speak Less or Whisper
Here is how to change Alexa’s voice responses:
- Open the Alexa app on your mobile.
- Click on More towards the right in the bottom toolbar.
- Here, click on Settings and then click on Voice Responses.
- Here, you can turn on Whisper Mode, allowing quieter responses from Alexa, or you can turn on Brief Mode so Alexa will talk less. The Adaptive Volume setting will allow Alexa to talk louder if there is more ambient noise.
How to Make Alexa Talk Slower or Faster
You can use the voice command “Alexa, speak slower,” which will cause Alexa to talk more slowly. You can say, “Alexa, speak faster” if you wish to increase the speed at which Alexa speaks. Tell Alexa to return to her default speed by saying, “Alexa, revert back to default talking speed.”
Related Reading: Best Alexa Skills for Improving Your Productivity in 2023
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Get Different Voices for Alexa?
To change Alexa’s voice, click on the device on which you wish to modify the Alexa’s voice on. In the upper right corner, click the Settings icon. Tap on Alexa’s Voice setting after scrolling to it. Select either the New or the Original voice.
Can I Change Alexa Voice to Santa?
To get a Santa voice, say, “Alexa, activate Hey Santa.” Hey Santa is an Alexa skill that functions in conjunction with Alexa’s voice, as opposed to modifying Alexa’s voice. There is no cost associated with using the Santa skill since it is free.
How Do You Change Alexa Voice to Samuel L. Jackson?
To get Samuel L. Jackson’s voice on Alexa, say, “Alexa, enable Samuel L. Jackson.” After a brief introduction, Alexa will ask if you want to purchase the skill. Once bought, you can choose whether you wish to have profanity on or off. Confirm, and you can use Samuel L. Jackson’s voice on your Alexa.
Which Devices Are Compatible With Changing Alexa’s Voice?
Most Echo devices can use the Alexa male voice and celebrity voices. The exceptions are the 1st gen Echo and Dot and Alexa wearable devices like Echo-buds and Fire TV. Other Echo devices are compatible with Alexa voices.
Wrapping Up the Guide to Changing Alexa’s Voice
You should now know how to change Alexa’s voice through the settings on your smart device. But to reiterate, the simplest way to change the Alexa voice is to simply use a voice command asking it to change the way it speaks. If you found this guide useful, check out some of our related content below.