There are a couple of ways you can attach an email to an email. The most common way is to forward it as an attachment. But, sometimes, the recipient’s mail client can’t interpret the email correctly. The alternative is to use the print menu to save the email as a PDF and then attach it as you would with any other attachment.
This guide will show you how to attach an email to an email using both methods on the two most popular mail clients.
How to Attach an Email in Outlook
Before starting, one thing to know is that although all Outlook versions’ functionality is essentially the same, you might see some differences in menu names or UI between various versions but the steps to attach an email are very similar, if not exactly alike.
We’ve used a variety of Outlook 2019 and the Outlook Web Client for our screenshots to account for some variations. But, keep in mind, that your Outlook version may still look slightly different. In any case, here’s how to attach emails in Outlook.
How to Attach an Email to an Email in Outlook
To attach an email in Outlook with this method, you’ll need to copy the email and send it as a file. Here are the steps you need to follow to do this:
On the main Outlook screen:
- Select the email you wish to send as an attachment.
- In the main top bar, click on More and Forward as Attachment. (For the Web Client, click the Three Blue Dots > Other Reply Actions > Forward as Attachment.) This will open a new email composition window.
- Type out anything you’d like to say to the recipient(s) about the attached email, maybe add a signature, and click Send.
How to Attach an Email to Another Email in Outlook Using PDF Files
Another method to consider when learning how to attach an email to another email is by creating a PDF and then sending it in an email. You can do this using just a few simple steps:
- In the main Outlook screen, right-click on the email you wish to attach to a new one. This will open a dropdown menu.
- Here, click on Quick Print. This will open a new window that allows you to select the location of the PDF file. Make sure you have Save to PDF set as the printer option.
- Head over to the location where you wish to save the file and enter a name for it in the File name text box.
- Click on Save to save the file locally on your PC.
- Now, on the main Outlook screen, click on New email. Here, click on Attach File and then click on Browse This PC.
- In the file browser, look for the file and select it.
- Type out your email and click Send.
Note: In the web version of Outlook, there is no Quick Print option. Instead, you have to open the email, Click the Three Gray Dots, and then click Print.
PDF files are less likely to set off security warnings than attached emails, especially if there is encryption on the email. So it can sometimes be a more reliable way to attach an email to an email.
How to Attach an Email to Another Email in Gmail
Forward as Attachment
Gmail makes it extremely easy to attach emails to a new one you’re composing. You do this by adding the email as a .eml file. Here are steps on how to attach email to another email in Gmail:
- Click on the checkbox towards the left of the email in the email list to select it. Feel free to choose multiple emails if you want to attach more than one.
- Click on the three vertical dots icon in the main toolbar. This will open a dropdown menu with multiple options to choose from.
- Here, click on Forward as attachment. This will open a new email compose screen.
- Type your email out as you usually would.
- Click on the blue Send button to send the email.
When opened by default, a .eml file will open as a simple text document containing system information without proper formatting. So, this method is handy when the recipient uses a modern email system like Gmail that can correctly detect and read a .eml file in attachments. Otherwise, this method won’t be ideal as the message won’t have the proper formatting and will look unreadable to the receiving user.
Note that it’s hard to recall an email once you send it, so make sure there’s no sensitive information in the attached emails.
Forward as PDF
Another way to forward an email is to convert it into PDF format before sending it. You can do this in Gmail, so you don’t need extra tools. Let’s take a look at how you can do this:
- On the main Gmail screen, click on the email you wish to attach.
- Click the Printer icon near the top right, above the email window.
- This opens the print dialog. Here, select Print to PDF and then click on the Print button.
- Now, you can save the file locally to your computer. Choose the location, and the file will be downloaded.
- Go back to Gmail and start creating a new email.
- Open the file location on your computer, left-click, and drag it into the email. The file will then be added as an attachment.
- Finish composing the email and click on the Send button.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Attach an Email to Another Email?
Whichever email client you use, the basic instructions are to find the Forward as Attachment option. A second possibility is to print the email as a PDF file and attach it as you would any other attachment to an email.
Can I Attach an Email to Another Email in Gmail?
To attach an email to another one in Gmail:
- From your inbox, click on the checkbox at the left of the email to select it.
- Click on the three vertical dots icon in the main toolbar and click on Forward as attachment.
You can also do this by sending it as a PDF. Here’s how:
- Click on the three vertical dots icon towards the top right side and select Print.
- Select Print to PDF and then click on Print.
- Open the file location on your computer and left-click and drag it into the email. The file will then be added as an attachment.
How Do I Forward an Email as an Attachment in Outlook Webmail?
Depending on the version of Outlook you’re using, you can either:
- Open the email, then navigate to More > Forward as Attachment.
- Open the email and click the Three Blue Dots > Other Reply Actions > Forward as Attachment.
You can also add the email as a PDF by first printing the email to PDF using the print menu and then attaching it as a file like you would with any other standard attachment.