Watch Video – Merge Cells In Google Sheets (Combine Columns in Google Sheets)
When you work with data that has headers, sometimes, you may feel the need to merge cells in Google Sheets.
For example, if you have the main header as Revenue and subheaders as 2016, 2017, and 2018, you can merge the three cells that make up the revenue header.
Something as shown below:
As you can see in the example above, Revenue spans across three cells that have been merged.
Steps to Merge Cells in Google Sheets
Here are the steps to merge cells in Google Sheets:
- Select the cells that you want to merge.
- Go to the Format tab and within the Merge Cells options select Merge All.
This would instantly merge all the selected cells and make it one.
Note: When you merge cells, it only retains the value in the top left cell. If there is anything in cells apart from the top left cells, Google Sheets shows you the prompt as shown below.
Now also have a look at the merge cells options available in Google Sheet:
- Merge All: This would merge all the selected cells and make them one. Note that you can only have contiguous cells that can be combined. If you have non-contiguous cells, merge options will not be available to use.
- Merge Horizontally: This would merge all the horizontal cells into one. Even when you select more than one row of cells, it will only merge the horizontal cells.
- Merge Vertically: This would merge all the vertical cells into one. Even when you select more than one column of cells, it will only merge the vertical cells.
Steps to Unmerge Cells in Google Sheets
Here are the steps to unmerge cells in Google Sheets:
- Select the merged cells that you want to unmerge.
- Go to the Format tab and within the Merge Cells options select Unmerge.
This would instantly unmerge all the merged cells in Google Sheets.
Also Read: How to Merge Cells in Excel.
So this is how you can use the merge feature option in Google Sheets to merge cells and even combine columns or rows easily.
I hope you found this tutorial useful!
You May Also Like the Following Google Sheets Tutorials: