With more people working from home these days, video conferencing services like Google Meet are gaining more and more popularity.
You can easily set up a call with your colleagues in seconds. Not only that, Google has added several features that can make your video calling experience even more seamless. One of these quality-of-life features includes the recording functionality in Meet.
This article discusses what’s recorded in a call, how to record Google Meet calls, and how you can access them later. Read on to learn more.
What Is Recorded in a Google Meet Recording?
When recording Google Meet calls, the speaker who is currently talking is recorded. The recording is then saved in the Google Meet Recordings section of the organizer in their My Drive. The link for the recording is then sent to the organizer via email and the person who initiated the recording.
- Other notifications or windows are not added to the recording.
- Pinning participants or a screen does not affect who is recorded in the meeting.
- Participants are notified when the meeting starts. However, they have no control over the recording. These people include the people outside the organization, mobile users, and people dialing using a phone.
- When a participant enables live captions in a meeting, there won’t be an effect on the meeting as these are an accessibility feature, hence, not recorded.
The chat conversations are saved for the duration of the video, and these are saved as.SBV files in the organizer’s My Drive. These are displayed as subtitles depending on the video player you’re using.
How to Record Google Meet Sessions
Here are the steps you need to follow to learn how to record on Google Meet:
- Go to Google Meet.
- Write the code to join one or start a new meeting.
3. Click on the Activities icon.
4. In the pop-up menu, click on Recording.
5. There, click on Start recording.
6. This will show a new window. Click on Start. All the participants will be notified when the recording starts or ends.
7. When you wish to stop recording, click on Activities > Recording > Stop recording.
- The recording will stop if the length reaches 8 hours.
- The recording can be found in the My drive of the person who initiated the recording. There you can find your recording in the Meet Recordings section.
- Note that you won’t instantly be able to see the video file there as soon as you stop the recording. The processing can take some time, depending on the size of the video.
Where to Find The Google Meets Recording
There are three ways to access the video file of your screen record on Google Meet. These include:
All recorded Google Meet calls are saved in the organizer’s Meet Recordings section in the My Drive. However, if changes are made by the organizer of the meeting outside the scheduled Google Calendar time, the link of the recording is then sent to the event creator.
If you wish to share these recordings, click on File and the Share or click on Link and paste the link into your messages or emails. To have the best quality video:
- Select the file and click on the three dots symbol.
- Click on Download.
You can now play this file on your local video player.
An email with the link to the recording is sent to the person who organized the meeting and the person who started recording the meeting.
Click on the link and wait for the recording to load when you get this email.
Here, you can either Play the video file or Download it.
You can also add the recording to a folder in your Google Drive this will upload the video after a short period. You can do this by clicking Add to My Drive.
Google Calendar Events
If the recording has started at the scheduled meeting time, the links are attached to the Calendar event. Individual participants in the same organization are granted access to the recording automatically. However, groups can get access automatically.
Why Is Google Meets Recording Not Working?
Google meeting recording functionality is only available for meetings that have been organized by specific Google Workspace edition accounts. These include:
- Business (Standard & Plus)
- Enterprise (Starter, Essentials, Standard & Plus)
- Education Plus (Users with “student” & “staff” licenses)
- Teaching and Learning Upgrades
- Workspace Individual Subscribers
If you can’t find the recording button in your Google Meet interface, follow these steps:
- Check whether the admin has turned recording on for Meet in Google Admin console.
- Make sure that you’re using Google Meet on a computer, as the recording functionality only works with the desktop version.
- Ensure you haven’t joined the meeting as a presenter only. If you join the same room from a different device to present, you won’t have the functionality to record the meeting.
- Check whether the meeting was created on a conference device or was created using a Chrome plug-in. Make sure the meetings have been created manually as Google Calendar meetings, or the ones generated automatically don’t have the functionality to record.
- Lastly, ensure that the organizer’s account isn’t disabled as these accounts don’t have the functionality to record. To fix this, delete the meeting from your schedule in Google Calendar and create a new meeting to generate a code as the new owner.
If you’re able to record but do not find that recording later, check for these:
- The recording isn’t ready yet. Generating a recording takes time and isn’t done instantly. When the recording is ready, an email is sent to the organizer and the people who started the recording.
- The link for the recording is added to the Calendar or is saved in the organizer’s Google Meet Recordings section in My Drive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Record a Google Meet if You Are Not the Host?
Yes, all meeting members can record a Google Meet video call as long as they have the proper Google Workspace edition accounts. These include the Essentials, Business, Enterprise, Education Plus, and Workspace Individual Subscribers accounts.
Do I Need the Host’s Permission to Record the Google Meeting?
You will need to have the permission of everyone in the meeting to be able to record a Google Meet call. However, if you’re using third-party recording software, Google won’t notify the members of an active recording.
How to Download a Google Meet Recording?
Go to the Meet Recordings section in the My Drive section of your Google Drive. Select the file you wish to download and click on More. Click on Download to start downloading the video to your device.
How Do You Record a Google Meet?
Follow these 3 steps to learn How to record a Google Meets session:
- Click on the Activities icon
- Click Recording
- Click Start Recording
The above method is both how to record a Google Meet call or record Google Meet video.
Wrapping Up the Google Meet Recording Function
Google Meet recordings can be a great way to save the meetings for later use. Starting a recording can be done in seconds and easily accessed through Google drive. Make sure to ask for permission before you start recording a Google meeting. You can easily remove the recording from your Google Drive when you’re done.
Now that you know how to record Google Meet, you may find these other Google Suite guides useful:
- How to Share Screen on Google Meet [Desktop & Mobile]
- How to Change Background on Google Meet [Desktop & Mobile]
- How to Make Chrome the Default Browser
- How to Group Tabs in Chrome [Desktop & Mobile]
- How to Block a Website on Chrome (4 Simple Methods)
- How to Reopen Closed Tabs in Chrome, Safari, and Other Browsers
Jake is a spreadsheet expert and content writer from New Zealand. He has a double Bachelor's Degree in Teaching and has been working in the education industry for over 11 years. His experience makes him adept at breaking down complex topics so that everyone is able to understand.