Every device screenshots slightly differently, even within the Apple line of products. Luckily, it’s all in a fairly similar way, even if you’ve just moved over from an Android device. To put it simply, you just have to press two buttons at the same time. On older iPhones and iPads, you press the volume up and home buttons. On newer devices that don’t have a home button, you should press the power and volume-up buttons instead.
If you’re still having a bit of trouble, read on for the full guide on how to screenshot on iPhone that you can also apply to other iOS devices.
This Article Covers:
How to Screenshot on New iPhone Models
If you have an iPhone X or any of the later models, here’s how to take a screenshot on an iPhone.
- On the right side of your iPhone, there is a Power button. Place your finger on it.
- Put another finger on your iPhone’s Volume Up button on the left side.
- Press both of these buttons simultaneously and wait for a sound. Your iPhone screen will now flash once. If your iPhone version is iOS 11 or above, the snapshot for iPhone you just took will shrink to the bottom of your screen.
You can share or crop that iOS screenshot in any way you like. If you do nothing with the screenshot at the time, it will be saved to your iPhone’s Camera Roll. If your iPhone version of iOS is older, you will not see the screenshot at the bottom of your screen after taking it, but your screenshot will be saved in your Camera Roll automatically.
You can also do this repeatedly to take a picture of the screenshot on iPhone devices. Then you can also print directly from your iPhone.
How to Take Screenshot on iPhone Older Models
If you have an older version of the iPhone with the home button, the iPhone screenshot shortcut will be a bit different. Here are the steps you need to follow on how to do a screenshot on iPhone with a home button:
- On your iPhone, place a finger on your Home button, which will be at the bottom of your screen.
- Put your other finger on your Volume Up button.
- Press these two buttons simultaneously until you hear a sound and see a brief flash on your screen.
If you are using iOS version 11 or above, the screen capture for iPhone will shrink down to the bottom of the screen, and from there, you can either crop it or share it. If you wish to do nothing with that screenshot, it will automatically be saved in your Camera Roll. If you take a screenshot on an older version of iOS, you will not see the screenshot at the bottom of the page after you take it. Instead, it will be saved in your Camera Roll automatically.
Check out our step-by-step guide on what to do if your iPhone home button is not working.
How to Screenshot on iPhone Using Assistive Touch
Some people find it a little challenging to press two buttons simultaneously as you have to hold your phone differently to reach both buttons. You can use Apple’s AssistiveTouch feature to help you with this.
Here are the steps on how you can enable AssistiveTouch and configure it to screenshot without home button or volume button:
- On your iPhone, open Settings.
- Click on the Accessibility option.
- Choose the Touch option and then click on the AssistiveTouch option.
- You can turn on the AssistiveTouch option by clicking on the Switch at the top of your iPhone’s screen.
- After you have turned the AssistiveTouch on, you have to select a way by which you can take screenshots.
- Choose the Double-Tap option.
- Select the Screenshot iPhone option.
- Every time you double-tap the AssistiveTouch option, your iPhone will take a screenshot.
With the AssistiveTouch feature, you can take a screenshot whenever you want by simply double-tapping the AssistiveTouch option. Your iPhone will take a screenshot, which will be saved in your Photos application automatically.
Related Content: How to Screenshot on Windows Devices
How to Take Full-Page Screenshots on an iPhone
We often want to take a screenshot of bigger content, some of which aren’t fully displayed on the screen. To do this, you can take a full-page screenshot. For now, this feature is only supported by Safari. If you wish to use this feature for third-party apps, use apps like Tailor or Picsew.
Here’s how to take full-page screenshots on an iPhone:
- On your iPhone, take a screenshot.
- Click on the Preview of the screenshot at the bottom left of the screen.
- Click on the Full Page option at the screen’s top left.
- Now you will see the preview of pages appearing on the screen’s right side.
- Select the Done option.
- Choose the Save PDF to Files option, and then you can save its location.
- Click on Save
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Take a Screenshot on an iPhone?
Here’s how to make a screenshot on an iPhone:
- To take a screenshot on a newer iPhone, press the power button and volume up simultaneously.
- On older devices, use the Home button and the volume up button instead.
How Do I Take a Screenshot on My iPhone With One Hand?
You can take a screenshot on your iPhone with one hand by turning on the AssistiveTouch and then altering the screenshot setting on your iPhone. To turn on the AssistiveTouch, open your Settings, choose the Accessibility option, and click on the Touch option. Then, click AssistiveTouch and turn it on from the Switch at the top of the screen. After this, select the Double-Tap option and choose Screenshot. Now, whenever you want to take a screenshot, you can simply double-tap the AssistiveTouch with one hand. This will take a screenshot and save it in your Camera Roll.
How Can I Take Screenshots Without a Power Button?
You can take a screenshot without the Power button by using the Home button and the Volume Up button. Press these two buttons simultaneously and wait till you hear a sound and a brief flash on the screen. After the screenshot has been taken, it will be saved in the Camera Roll automatically. If you’re using an older iPhone, enable the AssistiveTouch feature instead.
How Can You Screenshot on an iPhone Without Home Button?
You can take a screenshot without the Home button by using the Power and Volume Up buttons. Press these two buttons simultaneously and wait till you hear a sound and a brief flash on the screen. After the screenshot has been taken, it will be saved in the Camera Roll automatically.
Wrapping Up the iPhone Screenshot Guide
This guide showed you how to screenshot on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touches, whether an older device or a newer one without a home button. You should also be able to set up Assistive Touch to be able to take screenshots with one hand. Please let us know in the comments if you’re still having trouble.