The Notes app is a handy tool for jotting down quick ideas, reminders, and other notes on your Apple device. However, mistakes can happen, and you may accidentally delete or modify important information.
Fortunately, the Notes app has an undo feature that lets you quickly undo your last action and restore your notes to their previous state.
To learn how to undo in Notes, tap the screen with two fingers (on iPad) or three fingers (on iPhone), then tap “Undo” at the top of the screen, or shake your device and select “Undo.”
In this guide, we’ll show you how to undo in Notes using simple and easy-to-follow steps.
This Article Covers:
How To Undo in Notes on iPhone
If you’re using an iPhone, There are three ways to undo the changes you make in Notes:
- Using the Undo button
- Simply shaking your phone
- Using finger gestures
Method 1: Using the Undo Button
Here’s how to undo in Notes on your Apple device using the Undo button:
1. Open the Notes app on your device.
2. Create a new note by tapping the “Compose” button at the lower right corner of the screen. Alternatively, you can edit an existing note by choosing from the list or gallery.
3. Type or sketch anything that you need to. If you make a mistake and want to undo it, tap on the “Plus (+)” sign at the upper right corner of the keyboard.
4. Upon tapping, a row of available actions should appear at the top of the keyboard. Then, towards the right part of the selection buttons, tap on the “Markup” button (it looks like the tip of a pencil drawn inside a circle.)
7. After that, the undo and redo buttons should appear at the top of the screen. They look like curved arrows, one pointing to the left and the other to the right.
8. Tap on the arrow pointing to the left to undo changes. If you suddenly change your mind and want to redo it, just press the curved arrow pointing to the right.
9. Once you are done editing the note, tap on the “Done” button at the upper right corner of the screen.
Method 2: Shaking the Phone
Try shaking your iPhone if you want an easier and more interesting method to edit your notes. This is particularly useful if you’re using your device with one hand. Here’s how:
1. Launch the Notes app and create a new note or edit an existing one.
2. Type or sketch the changes you want to make.
3. If you want to undo something, shake the phone by quickly moving it with a jerking motion, either from side to side or up and down. One shake should be enough.
4. After that, a menu option should appear. It will ask you to “Undo Typing” or “Undo Add Strokes,” depending on whether you typed or sketched something.
5. Tap “Undo” to undo your recent change. Finally, tap “Cancel” to leave things the way they are.
6. If you have a change of heart after undoing the changes, you can still redo it by shaking the phone and tapping “Redo Typing” or “Redo Add Strokes.”
NOTE: It may take a few attempts for your undo menu to appear. Remember to make the movement sudden, so the menu will pop up once you have shaken your phone.
Method 3: Using Finger Gestures
Undoing in Notes using finger gestures on an iPhone is another quick and easy way to undo and redo actions in the app. Simply follow the steps below:
1. Open the Notes app on your iPhone.
2. Place your finger on the screen and swipe to the left with three fingers to undo your last action. You’ll see the “Undo” notification at the screen’s top to confirm it’s been done.
3. To redo the action, swipe to the right with three fingers. Once done, you’ll see the “Redo” notification at the top of the screen.
Alternatively, you can also tap using three fingers. Doing so will bring up the “Undo, Cut, Copy, Paste, and Redo” action buttons.
And that’s all you need to know on how to undo in Notes on your iPhone, restoring your work to its previous state.
How To Undo in Notes on iPad
The iPad is a much bigger device than the iPhone, allowing Apple to fit more commands into its screen. That’s why it’s easier to undo or redo tablet changes than the iPhone.
You can do this in two ways: by accessing the “Undo” button and by using the keyboard.
Method 1: Using the Undo Button
Here’s how to undo changes on iPad Notes using the Undo button:
1. Launch Notes from your iPad’s home page and create a new note. You could also edit an existing one.
2. To undo a change, tap on the “Markup” icon on the top right corner of the screen. Then, tap the “Undo” icon (the curved arrow that points to the left).
4. If you changed your mind about undoing the change, tap “Redo” (the curved arrow pointing to the right).
Method 2: Using the Keyboard
The second method is better if you want to undo something you typed. To undo in Notes when using an iPad’s keyboard, follow these steps:
1. Launch Notes on your home page and create a new note or edit an existing one — type or sketch details as needed.
2. If you want to undo a change, tap on the “Compose” button at the upper right corner of the screen. The keyboard should appear at the bottom of the screen after you do this.
3. Press the curved arrow that points to the left. If you change your mind about undoing the change, press the curved arrow pointing to the right to redo it.
How To Undo on Mac
To undo changes on Mac, simply follow these steps:
1. Open the Notes app on your Mac.
2. Click “Edit” in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
3. Select “Undo” from the drop-down menu, or use the keyboard shortcut “Command + Z” to undo your last action.
4. To redo the action, click on “Edit” again and select “Redo,” or use the keyboard shortcut “Shift + Command + Z.”
Undoing in Notes on an Apple device is a useful feature that can save you time and hassle when working on your notes. Whether you’re using an iPhone, iPad, or Mac, the app has multiple ways to undo and redo actions.
With these simple steps, you can easily undo and redo actions in Notes and focus on what matters most — your notes!
If you’re interested in learning how to master your Apple devices, check out these online courses covering everything — from learning Apple basics to maximizing your productivity using Mac and iOS.
- How to Recall an Email in Gmail (3 Simple Steps)
- How to Recover Deleted Notes on iPhone: 3 Easy Ways
- Top 8 Best Journal Apps for iPhone, iOS, Android, and Windows
- 10 Best iPad Productivity Apps to Download
- How to Change Goals on an Apple Watch: 2 Easy Ways (iOS 16)
- Don’t Lose Your Watch: How to Ping Apple Watch Easily