With over 2 billion monthly active users, Facebook is one of the biggest social media platforms in the industry. Facebook users enjoy sharing their content with their friends, as well as sharing other people’s posts if they find them informative or entertaining.
If you create content that you want to share with others, your first step is to create a shareable and engaging post. Once your post is published, there is an additional option for others to share your content with their audience. You want to capitalize on this Facebook feature in your marketing strategy.
So, how to make a post shareable on Facebook? When you post on Facebook, there are several visibility options that you can choose from:
- Public (anyone who is on or off Facebook can see it)
- Friends (only your Facebook friends can see it)
- Friends except (content can be hidden from selected friends)
- Specific friends (only specific friends can see)
- Only me
- Custom (you can personalize to include and exclude friends)
Today, we will give you a step-by-step guide on how to make a post shareable on Facebook, how to share published posts, problems with sharing other people’s content, and more!
How to Make a Facebook Post Shareable (Desktop)
Step 1: Go to your Facebook Home page and tap “What’s on your mind?”
Step 2: Tap the security button under your profile name to see a list of privacy options.
Step 3: Select the appropriate privacy option for your post.
There will be several privacy options to choose from:
- Public: Your post will be shared with everyone on Facebook. It can also be shared publicly by others on Facebook.
- Friends: Your post will be shared only with your Facebook friends.
- Friends Except: Your post can be shared by any of your friends except those to whom you have limited access.
- Only me: Only you can see and share your post.
- Custom: You can create a personalized list of people you want to share the post with.
How to Make a Post Shareable on the Facebook App
While there are many similarities between making a post shareable on the web and the Facebook app, there are a few subtle differences when using the Facebook app. Therefore, the steps below will guide you on how to make FB posts shareable via the Facebook app:
- Log into your Facebook app and tap the “What’s on your mind?” bar.
- Tap on the Security icon to change the privacy settings. You will be the same privacy choices as the desktop. To make your Facebook post shareable with everyone, choose the “Public” option.
- Tap on “Post” in the upper right to show the message on your Facebook wall.
- If you change your mind and decide to make your post private, click on the three-dot menu to edit your privacy setting. Simply choose one of the privacy options that are not public, such as “Friends” or “Friends except.”
Related: The Best MacBook Pro Alternatives
Why Can’t Others Share Your Posts on Facebook?
If your posts aren’t shareable on Facebook, you have probably changed your settings that do not allow for public sharing. Follow these steps to change the settings so you can share your Facebook posts:
- Find the post you want to make shareable
- Tap on the globe icon below your profile name
- When you see the security settings menu, tap on the privacy setting you want from the list
- After you have selected your preferred choice, it will be applied to your future posts
How to Make a Post Shareable on a Facebook Page
A Facebook page is created solely for business purposes. Therefore, any post published on a Facebook page should share business updates or build brand awareness, which is why it is preferable to make posts shareable. Follow the steps below on how to make a post shareable on a Facebook page:
- Go to the Facebook home page. On the top left, you will see the “Pages” button—tap on “Pages.”
- Choose the page that has the post you want to share from the list
- Scroll down the page to find the post you want to share.
- Click “Share” on the bottom right to share the post with others
Keep in mind that Facebook pages are intended for business purposes, this means that all posts are automatically set to “Public” by default, and that cannot be changed.
How to Make a Post Shareable on Facebook After Posting
If you have published a post on Facebook and want to make it shareable later, don’t worry because it is possible. There is a way to edit the security settings of the posts that have already been published on Facebook. Here’s how to do it:
- Find the post you want to share from your timeline
- Tap on the globe icon below your name
- Choose the privacy setting you want from the list
- After you have selected your privacy setting, this change will apply to your post, making it possible for others to share it
Why Make a Post Shareable on Facebook
Of course, there may be times when you want to keep things private on Facebook. However, there are several reasons why you should make a post shareable on Facebook, such as:
- Presenting yourself as an expert: If you want to share your expertise and knowledge in a particular field, making your posts shareable on Facebook so people can see your expertise firsthand is worthwhile.
- Highlighting specific issues: If you want to share important events or issues, sharing them with others can reach a wider audience while spreading the word to others so that they can learn more about the topic.
- Pure entertainment: Sharing fun content on Facebook is always fun. After all, this is how viral posts become viral—once your Facebook friends see the fun post—they will also be able to share it further, widening the reach.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know how to make a post shareable on Facebook, you can change the privacy settings to your liking and set the visibility of your posts according to your strategy and personal preferences.
One of the biggest advantages of posting on Facebook is that you can change the privacy setting for your posts, giving you the freedom to make them shareable even after they have been published. This means that when your share your posts on Facebook, you can boost your reach and engagement whenever you see fit.
If you need more ideas to help with your marketing strategy, enroll in this MasterClass held by advertising icons Jeff Goodby and Rich Silverstein. In this MasterClass, you’ll learn how Jeff and Rich adopted edgy advertising techniques to entice millions of people while breaking conventional rules to change minds, and in time, you will also be able to create the best work of your life!
If you liked this article, you might also want to learn about the best remote work communication tools in the market.
- The Best Landing Page Builder
- Top 7 Best Smart Glasses
- How to Delete a Facebook Page [Step-by-Step Guide]
- How to Tag Someone on Facebook
- How to Create a Poll on Facebook: Step-by-Step
- How to Delete a Facebook Group Step-by-Step
- How to Hide Likes on Facebook [Updated Guide]
Tamara is the social media manager and a writer for Productivity Spot. Her main areas of expertise include writing in-depth how-to articles, developing email campaigns, and social media management in the tech industry. She is also the social media manager for Spreadsheet Point, Hackr.io, and VentureKite, among others.