Do you have trouble pairing your AirPods with new devices because everyone’s AirPods in the building are called AirPods Pro? Or, maybe you named yours something silly when you first set them up and need a new name. In any case, this guide will run you through step-by-step how to rename AirPods.
How to Rename AirPods on iPhone
As the Airpods are a part of the Apple ecosystem (and none of the AirPod alternatives are), you can easily rename AirPods by following just a few simple steps. You can also follow the same steps if you wish to rename AirPods Pro too.
Related Reading: How to Stop Your AirPods from Disconnecting
Here’s how to change your name on AirPods:
- Open Settings on your iPhone and then click on Bluetooth.
- Find the name of your buds in the list on the Bluetooth menu.
- After locating your AirPods, click on the “i” button on the right side of the AirPods.
- When you are on the AirPods page, click on the Name option.
- Delete the name of the AirPods on the Name page by clicking on the X on the right side.
- Click on the field and enter the new name for the AirPods.
- Click on Enter. The name of your AirPods will be changed and visible on all your Apple devices.
Related Reading: Best MacBook Air Alternatives
How to Change AirPods Name on macOS
It is possible to change the name of your AirPods on a Mac. Here’s how to change the name of your AirPods on a macOS computer:
- On your Mac, click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of the screen and choose the System Preferences option.
- Choose the Bluetooth option from the System Preferences Page.
- Connect and pair your AirPods with your Mac.
- On the Bluetooth page, there will be a list of devices.
- Find the name of your AirPods and right-click on them by holding down the Control option while clicking.
- Choose the Rename option.
- Change the name of your AirPods and choose the Rename option to confirm. The next time you connect and pair your AirPods with a Mac computer, you will see the AirPods have the assigned name.
How to Change the Name of AirPods on Android
Here’s how to change the name on AirPods on Android phones or iPad equivalent tablets:
- On your Android phone, open Settings.
- Choose the Connections option.
- There, click on the Bluetooth option.
- Pair and connect your AirPods with your Android.
- In the Bluetooth menu, locate the name of your AirPods and click on the Settings icon on the right side.
- On the Device details page, click on the Pen icon.
- Change the name of your AirPods and choose the Rename option.
How to Change Your Airpods’ Name on Windows
Here are the steps you need to follow on how to name AirPods on a MacBook Pro alternative Windows laptop or any other PC:
- On your computer, choose the Start button, which is at the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Open Settings and search and select the Control Panel.
- On the Control Panel page, click on the Hardware and Sound option.
- Choose the Devices and Printers option.
- Locate the AirPods that you want to rename and right-click on them.
- Click on the Properties option from the drop-down menu.
- Open the Bluetooth page and change the name of the AirPods.
- Press OK.
How to Stop Airpod Names From Reverting Back
When renaming the AirPods, many people frequently run into the problem of the name returning to default. This usually happens after switching to a different device or putting the AirPods back in their case. There are some practical ways of renaming your Airpods.
The first thing you can do is reset your AirPods. A reset removes all the current data, including potential bugs that may cause the issue. Resetting also establishes a new, most likely bug-free connection between the AirPods and the device.
Here are the steps you need to follow to reset your AirPods:
- On your phone, open Settings.
- Choose the Bluetooth option.
- Click on the “i” icon on the right of the AirPods name.
- Click on the Forget option.
- Hold down the Setup button on your AirPods till it turns white.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Rename My AirPods?
To rename your AirPods, open Settings on your iPhone and click Bluetooth. Find the name of your buds in the list on the Bluetooth menu. After locating your AirPods, click on the “i” button on the right side of the AirPods. When you are on the AirPods page, click on the Name option. Delete the name of the AirPods on the Name page by clicking on the X on the right side. Click on the field and enter the new name for the AirPods. Click on Enter. The name of your AirPods will be changed and visible on all your Apple devices.
How to Fix AirPods Name Reverts Back?
To prevent the AirPod name from reverting, open Settings on your phone. Choose the Bluetooth option. Click on the “i” icon on the right side of the AirPods name and then on the Forget option. Hold down the Setup button on your AirPods till it turns white.
Wrapping up the How to Reset AirPods Name Guide
Now you should know how to rename AirPods on every device. Yet, if you’re still having trouble, drop us a line in the comments and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
Jake is a spreadsheet expert and content writer from New Zealand. He has a double Bachelor's Degree in Teaching and has been working in the education industry for over 11 years. His experience makes him adept at breaking down complex topics so that everyone is able to understand.