Congrats on your new headphones! If you’re here, you want to know how to change AirPods name defaults. I’ll show you how to make the update on an iPhone, Android device, Windows OS, and Mac OS. Whichever method you use, it only takes about a minute to change AirPod names.
This Article Covers:
How to Change AirPods Name: Four Easy Methods
Because they’re part of the Apple ecosystem, it’s easy to rename AirPods in a few simple steps. The same steps apply to rename AirPods Pro and other headphones too. Fortunately, it’s pretty simple. That means you don’t have to chase down Apple support. You can rename your AirPods in about a minute, regardless of which platform you use. Let’s start with mobile devices.
How to Rename AirPods on iPhone and iOS Devices
Many of us connect our AirPods to an iPhone right away. So let’s talk about how to do it there first.
To change your name AirPods name on an iPhone:
- Open Settings >Bluetooth.
- Find the name of your device in the Bluetooth menu and click the “i” button (to the right of the AirPods).
- Select the Name option.
- Delete the name of the AirPods by clicking the X (on the right side).
- Click the field and enter the new name for the AirPods.
- Clicking Enter will change your AirPods name on all of your connected Apple devices.
Looking to upgrade to the latest AirPods? Check their current price to see any discounts. Or, learn about our favorite AirPod alternatives.
How to Change AirPods Name on macOS
If you prefer a full keyboard when renaming a device, you may want to make the update on your laptop. Fortunately, it’s possible to change the name of your AirPods on a Mac. Here’s how to change the name of your AirPods on a macOS computer:
- Click on the Apple > System Preferences > Bluetooth.
- See the list of Bluetooth devices? This is where you connect and pair your AirPods with your Mac.
- On the Bluetooth page, there will be a list of devices. Find your AirPods and right-click on them.
- Choose the Rename option.
- Change the name of your AirPods and choose the Rename option to confirm. The next time you connect and pair your AirPods with a Mac computer, the AirPods should have the assigned name.
Related Reading: Looking for a simple way to streamline your monthly purchases? Switching to SetApp combines dozens of applications for one flat fee!
How to Change the Name of AirPods on Android Devices
To change the name of AirPods on Android phones or iPad equivalent tablets:
- On your Android phone, open Settings > Connections > Bluetooth.
- Pair and connect your AirPods with your Android.
- Locate the name of your AirPods and click the Settings icon (on the right side).
- On the Device details page, click the Pen icon.
- Change the name of your AirPods and choose the Rename option.
How to Change the Name of Your Airpods on Windows
But what if you have a Windows device? I’m happy to share how to rename AirPods on a PC, too. Just follow these steps on Windows:
- Choose the Start button, located at the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Open Settings > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound.
- Choose Devices and Printers.
- Choose the Devices and Printers option.
- Locate the AirPods that you want to rename and right-click on them.
- Click on the Properties option from the drop-down menu.
- Open the Bluetooth page and change the name of the AirPods.
- Press OK.
How to Stop AirPod Names From Reverting Back
Many people encounter their AirPods reverting to their default settings. This usually happens after switching to a different device or putting the AirPods back in their case. A reset removes all the current data – including potential bugs that may cause the issue. Resetting also establishes a new connection between the AirPods and the device. If you want to reset AirPod names, the process is pretty simple.
To reset your AirPods:
- Open Settings > Bluetooth.
- Click the “i” icon on the right of the AirPods name.
- Tap the Forget option.
- Hold the Setup button on your AirPods until it turns white.
If you want to stop your AirPod names from reverting back, you’ll need to avoid resetting them. If you keep them charged and forego the reset, you get to keep your custom names.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most common questions I hear from people who want to rename Airpods. I’ll answer them as quickly as possible. After all, this is a pretty common issue. Please let me know if you have any more questions!
Can you show me how to change Airpod name on laptop?
If you want to change the name of your headphones on a laptop, you’ll just need to connect first. Then, go to the device settings and choose rename. I show this in much more detail in my guide on how to change Airpod names above.
How can I rename my Airpods?
To rename your AirPods, open Settings > Bluetooth. Locate your earbuds in the Bluetooth menu. Click “i” > Name. Click the X next to the name of the AirPods, select the field, and enter the new name for the AirPods. Click on Enter.
How do I fix AirPods name if it reverts back?
If you lose your new name because the device reset to its original name, you can just rename the device again. My guide shows four ways to change AirPod names. That means you can update them on pretty much any device. To prevent the AirPod name from reverting, just don’t reset your device.
How do I revert back to the original AirPods name?
If you’re looking to remove your current name and opt for the original factory default, that’s easy too. AirPods users just need to open system Settings and choose the Bluetooth tab. Click the “i” icon next to the AirPods name and the “Forget” option. Then, hold down the Setup button on your AirPods until it turns white.
Can I rename my wireless earbuds?
Even if you don’t have Apple’s popular AirPods, you can follow the same steps above to rename your wireless earbuds. That means you can rename Google’s Pixel Buds, the popular QuietComfort headphones, or any other earbuds with my guide above.
Do I need an internet connection to rename my AirPods?
As long as you’re connected via Bluetooth, you don’t even need an internet connection to change the name of your AirPods.
There you have it! With my instructions above, you should know how to change your AirPod name. If you’re still having trouble, drop me a line in the comments: I’ll get back to you as soon as we can!