Whether you’ve damaged your power button or are a user that needs to use accessibility options, learning how to turn off a phone without a power button is crucial. Luckily, you can usually do so through the settings.
The process differs slightly between Android and iOS devices — and even between manufacturers! We’ve compiled step-by-step explanations (with screenshots) to guide you through the process.
This Article Covers:
How To Turn Off an iPhone Without Power Button
If your iPhone’s power button fails, there are alternate ways to turn your phone on and off. Let’s take a look at some of them.
Turn off an iPhone without a Power Button from Settings
The easiest way to power off an iPhone — without using the buttons — is through the iOS settings. Also, If you cannot use the power button due to a glitch or bug, the issue might be resolved by restarting the iPhone using the below method. Here’s how to do it:
- In the main iOS home screen, select “Settings” > “General.”
- Head to the bottom of the general settings page and click the “Shut Down” option.
- The power-off screen will appear. Slide the “Power” button from left to right to turn the iPhone off.
How To Restart without a Power Button Using Assistive Touch
AssistiveTouch is an accessibility feature available on Apple devices that allows users with impairments to access different functions on their devices. It creates an on-screen “virtual button” that provides access to several iPhone functions without using a physical button.
- In the main iOS home screen, select “Settings” > “Accessibility.”
- Choose the “Touch” option under “Physical and Motor.”
- Click “AssistiveTouch” and turn on the toggle.
This will show the circular AssistiveTouch button towards the left or right side of the screen. In the same settings menu, you can tap “Customize Top Level Menu.” Click on it and ensure the Restart button is contained in one of the boxes.
With the setup process done, use AssistiveTouch to restart your iPhone:
- Click on the “AssistiveTouch” on either the screen’s left or right side. This will reveal a square window in the middle.
- Press the “Restart” button in one of the six options shown.
- Confirm by clicking “Restart.” Your iPhone should now reboot.
How To Switch on an iPhone Without a Power Button
If your iPhone’s power button becomes unresponsive, Apple has designed a simple solution for booting up your iPhone: Connect your iPhone to a charger and wait until you see the familiar Apple logo appear. Your iPhone should successfully initiate its startup process.
How To Turn off an Android without the Power Button
It’s definitely possible to power off and restart your Android device without utilizing the conventional power button. Because Android is more open-source than iOS, the methods can vary slightly. However, we’ve included a method that works on almost all Android devices by using a third-party app.
How To Switch Off Phone Without Button Using Third-Party Apps
One of the advantages of an Android phone is the availability of apps for various purposes. A convenient option to bypass a physical power button is utilizing an application that simulates its function.
Here’s how to restart an Android phone without the power button:
- Go to the Play Store and search for “Power Menu.”
- Download the app and launch it. You’ll need to grant accessibility permissions to the application. Select “Yes” when prompted, “Do you want to launch accessibility settings?”
- Look for the “Power Menu” app and toggle the accessibility features on it.
- The option will now be enabled:
- For Android 12 or above: A “Power” button will appear towards the bottom right part of the screen.
- For Android 11 or below: Click the “Open Power Menu” button inside the app.
- Click on the “Power off” button in the menu to shut your phone down.
How To Restart a Samsung Phone Without the Power Button
Although Samsung phones still use Android as the base opening system, their OneUI software skin adds many useful features. One of these is a power button located near the top of the status bar.
Note: This feature is only available on the regular OneUI OS, not OneUI Core. The latter is the skin used on budget-friendly Samsungs. You may need to use a different method if your device falls into that category.
Here’s how to switch off your Samsung phone using the power toggle:
- Swipe down from the top side of the screen to open the notification panel. Swipe down again to open “Quick Settings.”
- Here, click the “Power” button towards the top right corner of the quick settings panel. This icon is on the left side of the settings icon.
- You will be given a window to choose whether to “Power off” or “Restart” your Android. Pressing the “Restart” button will start rebooting the phone without a power button.
How To Switch off Phone Without Button Using ADB
Because this method is quite complicated for switching off your Android without a power button, it should be used as a last resort. The “Android Debug Bridge” (ADB) allows you to make changes from an Android device through a computer. You’ll need to set it up before you can use the ADB command shell to turn off your phone.
- Install the ADB drivers onto your PC. We recommend using Minimal ADB and Fastboot, as it is lightweight and requires minimal effort to install.
- On your Android device, go to “Settings” and enable “USB Debugging” under “Developer Options.”
- With USB Debugging enabled, connect your Android device to the computer using a USB cable.
- Your device will show a prompt asking you to allow debugging. Click “Allow,” and your device should connect to the computer.
Now that ADB is set up on your PC, here is how to switch off your Android device using ADB:
- Right-click on the command prompt app and click “Run as administrator.” This will open a new command prompt window.
- In the terminal, connect the device by typing the command “adb devices.”
- If you’re connecting your device for the first time, you’ll see a window on your Android prompting you to allow the connection. Click on the “Allow” button there.
- You should see the device identifier in the list of attached devices now. To shut down the device, type in the command adb shell reboot –p. Your phone will shut down instantly.
Note: The -p in the “adb shell reboot” –p is used to power off the device. If you write the command as “adb shell reboot,” your device will restart instead.
How To Turn on an Android Phone without a Power Button
Unlike iPhones, most Android manufacturers use different software skins across devices, which can change the device’s behavior. Almost all manufacturers have slightly different methods. Here are some things to try to turn your Android device on without a power button:
1. Plug in the Charger
Many manufacturers of Android devices have included this functionality in their customized Android interfaces. This feature automatically powers the phone on as soon as it’s connected to a charger. Simply plug in your phone’s charger, and the boot-up logo should appear.
2. Try the Volume Keys
Some smartphone manufacturers allow users to turn on their devices using volume keys or the home button. This method usually works when the device is plugged into a power source.
3. Connect to a Computer
Another way to turn on your phone is by transmitting data from your computer to your phone. Connect your device to the computer using a USB cable. Your phone’s screen should turn on, and a message asking you if you wish to transmit data will be displayed. Confirm the dialog box, and your device should start to boot up.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Can I Turn Off My iPhone Without a Power Button?
In order to power off your Android device without using the power button, you can follow these steps.
- Navigate to the “Settings” menu.
- Locate the “General” section and scroll down until you find the “Shut Down” option.
- Clicking on it will bring up the power-off screen on your device.
- Slide the “Power” button from left to right in order to turn off your iPhone.
Can You Restart Your iPhone Using AssistiveTouch?
Yes, AssistiveTouch allows you to restart your iPhone. Go to “Settings” > “Accessibility” > “Touch” and enable “AssistiveTouch.”
Can I Turn Off My Samsung Android Without a Power Button?
The OneUI software skin by Samsung has a great feature that allows you to turn off your device from the quick settings.
Swipe down from the top of the screen and swipe again to open “Quick Settings.” Click the “Power” button and select either the “Power off” or “Restart” button.
How Do I Restart a Xiaomi Phone Without the Power Button?
Navigate to “Settings” > “Additional settings” >”Accessibility” > “Accessibility menu” where you’ll turn on the Accessibility menu shortcut.
Next, access the “Power” settings from the new “Accessibility” menu shortcut on your screen.
How Do I Restart a OnePlus Without the Power Button?
Navigate to “Settings” > “Convenience tools” > “Accessibility” > “Accessibility menu” and turn the shortcut on. You can now access power switching from the Accessibility menu shortcut (in the bottom-right corner of your screen).
Now that you know how to turn off a phone without a power button, you’ll have nonstop access to your advice. Take advantage of your iPhone with SetApp. With its flat monthly subscription fee, get access to dozens of the most popular apps!