Unfortunately, in 2023, your camera roll isn’t automatically backed up by Snapchat. You can auto-save Snaps, but you’ll need to manually save media from the camera to back them up.
So how do you back up your camera roll to Snapchat? In this article, we explain all possible methods (for both Android and iPhone), how to turn on smart backup, ways to check backup progress, and some common troubleshooting issues.
How to Back Up Camera Roll to Snapchat (The Most Popular Way)
Here’s one of the most popular methods to back up the camera roll to Snapchat:
- Open the gallery app.
- Choose the photos you want to back up.
- Click on the share button.
- Choose Snapchat.
- Click on the Save button in the bottom-left corner.
This process can take some time, depending on the number of files you have.
If That Doesn’t Work, Try This Snapchat Backup Method
There is another way to back up media to Snapchat, and it doesn’t require a third-party gallery app. This is because Snapchat supports showing your camera roll. Here’s how to do it:
- In your Snapchat account, swipe up or click on the Memories button.
- Swipe left twice to go to the Camera Roll.
- Click on the top-right button or hold on to a photo.
- Choose other files you want to back up.
- Tap on the export button on the bottom row.
- Choose Snapchat from the app list.
- Click on the save button.
How to Save Snap to Camera Roll (iPhone)
Here’s how to backup Snapchat photos on your iPhone:
- Open your Snapchat app and go to the Memories icon
- Tap on Camera Roll
- Now you can see pictures and videos from your camera roll. But if you see right under the Camera Roll, you can see a message that says Snapchat doesn’t back up your Camera Roll
- Choose and hold the media you want to back up and tap on the More option
- Choose Create Story
- Name the Story and click on “Save Story.”
- Go to Memories to see your backed-up images in Snaps
How to Backup Photos to Snapchat (Android)
If you use Android, here are a few easy steps to backup the camera roll to Snapchat:
- Open your Snapchat and go to the Memories icon.
- Click on Camera Roll under the Memories.
- You will see images and videos from your camera roll under this tab, as well as a message that your camera roll isn’t backed up by Snapchat.
- Choose the images or videos you want to back up. Tap “Export.”
- Choose the Snapchat icon.
- Click on the Save button.
- Instead of posting the Story, save it to back up the file.
Related: How to Open a HEIC File on Windows
How to Create Snapchat Stories from a Camera Roll
If you want to create Snapchat stores from your camera roll, follow these easy steps:
- Go to your camera roll.
- Choose images or videos you want to use.
- Share them on Snapchat.
How to Turn on Smart Backup
Smart Backup is needed when your Backup Progress doesn’t show “Complete.”
For both iPhone and Android, to turn on Smart Backup on your Snapchat:
- Open your profile and click on settings.
- Tap on “Memories.”
- Select “Smart Backup” under Storage.
- Select the toggle to turn it on.
How to Check Backup Progress on Snapchat
Now that you know how to backup photos to Snapchat, you should also learn how to check the Backup Progress status from the Memories settings.
Note: Your phone must either have strong cellular service or a stable Wi-Fi connection to successfully complete a backup.
For both iPhone and Android, check your Memories Backup progress by:
- Opening Profile and then Settings
- Tapping on Memories
- Finding Backup Progress
- Check whether it says Complete
- If the backup progress is complete, there’s no need to back it up again. If your memories are not fully backed up, you will see the message that says: “No Internet Connection” or “#Snaps Remaining.”
Related: The Best Remote Work Communication Tools
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is My Camera Roll Not Showing Up on Snapchat?
There are a few reasons why you may not see all the files in your Snapchat Camera Roll:
- Slow/unstable internet connection
- You’re using a VPN
- Unsupportive media files
- Snapchat cached data is full
- Snapchat has a bug
Can People See my Camera Roll on Snapchat?
Only people with access to your account can see your Memories. Friends can’t search through your Snapchat account to see files saved under your Memories
The Bottom Line
There you have it! Now that you’ve learned how to back up the camera roll to Snapchat, you can safely save your photos. Now’s the perfect time to learn how to hide photos on your iPhone, as well as discover how to send long videos on your iPhone, too!
If you’re already a whiz at all things technical, maybe it’s time to improve your social media game. From graphic design to video editing courses, Skillshare’s free one-month subscription is the perfect place to learn how to increase your followers!
- How Does Snap Score Work in Snapchat? + 7 Ways to Increase It
- How to Screenshot on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch [3 Ways]
- How To Make a Collage on iPhone [Easy Step-by-Step Guide]
Tamara is the social media manager and a writer for Productivity Spot. Her main areas of expertise include writing in-depth how-to articles, developing email campaigns, and social media management in the tech industry. She is also the social media manager for Spreadsheet Point, Hackr.io, and VentureKite, among others.