In this tutorial, I will show you how to create hanging indents in Google Docs.
What are Hanging Indents?
If you work with citations and/or quotations, you may need to create hanging indents to meet formatting guidelines.
Hanging Indent means that the first line of the paragraph has an indent.
Something as shown below:
How to Get Hanging Indent in Google Docs?
Here are the steps to get hanging indent in Google Docs:
- Make sure the ruler is visible. If it’s not, go to View –> Show Ruler.
- Select the paragraph(s) that you want to indent.
- In the ruler, you will see a blue icon that consists of a downward pointing arrow a line above it (as shown below).
- Drag the blue downward pointing arrow to the right. This will indent all the paragraphs to the right.
- Select the blue line above the arrow and drag it to the right to get the first line indented.
This will create a hanging indent in Google docs for all the selected paragraphs.
If you only have a couple of citations for which you want to create a hanging indent, follow the below steps:
- Place the cursor at the beginning for the first line and click.
- Hit the tab key from your keyboard.
This will create an indent in the first line while the rest of the paragraph would be unchanged.
Related: How to Change the Margins in Google Docs
FREE Google Sheets Tips Ebook
Get Work Done Faster with these 10 Google Sheets Tips